nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

I have a tom tom go live 825 and the volume button on the bottom

I have a tom tom go live 825 and the volume button on the bottom of the screen keeps coming on on it's own
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 2 years ago.
nathan_mills :

Have you tried resetting your TomTom

Customer:

Yes I have tried reseting it but it doesn't make any difference .

nathan_mills :

Connect your device to computer

nathan_mills :

1. Hold the ON/OFF button, until it reaches the info screen (black screen, white text)

2. After entering the info screen press the ON/OFF button 3 times quickly (it should be 3 presses within one second)

3. The device restarts and only shows a cogwheel, it just entered in the 'recovery mode'

4. Make sure to connect the TomTom device to the computer (so it can download the 'last known good application' for your device)

5. Wait until you see picture of a TomTom (red x) and a laptop, then switch off the TomTom unit

6. Then reset the device, and it should start up normally

7. Wait 5 minutes

Customer:

I have reset the tom tom as you suggested but I still have the same problem. I think it might be a problem with the connection between the screen and the board. when I strip the tom tom down and then plug the screen in. it works ok for a while, is there any way of cleaning the connection between the board and the screen, or is there a way of tightening the connection where the screen plugs into the main board

nathan_mills :

If resetting does not solve the problem then it is surely a hardware issue.

nathan_mills :

There may be two reason for this hardware issue. Either the volume switch is being shorted due to dust or the micro switch for volume control has gone faulty.

nathan_mills :

Disassemble the TomTom. Try cleaning the volume control with a soft brush for any dust particles and check if the issue is there or not.

nathan_mills :

If still the volume is coming up then you might need to replace the internal micro switch.

nathan_mills :

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

nathan_mills :

There is no way of tightening the connections of the screen as they are adaptor based not screw based. And moreover this is not an issue of the loose connection because if it would have been, then the screen would not have worked properly and this is not the case.

nathan_mills :

Please rate the chat POSITIVELY. Cheers