Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

When the tv is turned there is no picture as such but an hour

When the tv is turned there is no picture as such but an hour glass shaped picture - black background with horizontal blue lines is the only viewable image. Tried DVD and nothing. Any thoughts? Has the tube gone?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number off of TV in question?
This info will help to get related manual purpose.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry had to go downstairs and check. It's a Samsung Model CI5937AN

Rgds

Stuart

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you get the previous message?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I got both messages.
- How old is the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would say quite old as it was my late father's. Probably around 10 years.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks info.
"hour glass shaped picture - black background with horizontal blue lines" indicates problem with several sections in TV like main power supply, horizontal deflection, pin-cushion section and weak picture tube (CRT) performance/ result.
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix available symptoms in TV and it needs thorough troubleshooting by TV tech to determine defective parts and replace them to get better picture result and picture tube replacement would not be an option because it is no longer available, I would not recommend to spend money and time on this old unit as it has seen its golden days.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website work.
Regards,
Shahid.