Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I bought a panasonic DMP-BPT460 Blu Ray DVD player and it's

Customer Question

I bought a panasonic DMP-BPT460 Blu Ray DVD player and it's playing the M&E audio tracks (Music and Effects) on all discs. Why would this be happening? and is their a setting I need to tweak? Note - my firmware is up to date.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
It can be an issue with the firmware and I want to rule this out first please.
On the player itself, hold the Channel Up and Down button while it is on, and keep this held for 10 seconds, then release.
It resets the player, once this is done, test and tell me if it still has the problem.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no channel up or down button on the player. There are only four buttons. Eject. Stop play and power on/off. Similarly on the remote. Can you clarify what this button should look like? Apologies for being stupid! C
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it depends on the batch but then do it this way
Go to the menu, and choose the Setup Menu then Restore Default Settings.
Let this complete and tell me please Chris if it now clears it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've restored to the default settings and it's still the same result. Music and Effects but no dialogue on the audio track. What next?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
So you hear everything except for people talking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hear the music and fx track. I work in television and we will always create an M&E track when delivering the show for international sales (dubbed versions etc) as they make the creation of French, Italian, etc etc versions much more simple to make. You don't have to Mia the whole show again, you just dump on the dialogue over the mixed M&E track and away you go....
For some reason this dvd machine is choosing to play only that track on the dvd. I've been through all the audio options and the foreign dubbed versions all play fine.
And I've been through this on multiple discs. It's a problem with the machine not the disc
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, there are no additional settings for this Chris, so from what you are doing it appears to be incompatibility with the method of making these disks and the recorder which means you would have to use a different recorder sorry.