Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Pioneer PDP 508XD t.v. I have tried to connect it

I have a Pioneer PDP 508XD t.v. I have tried to connect it to a Yamaha YAS 103 soundbar via an optical cable into the digital out optical input on back of t.v. Did not get any sound. Is it possible to get sound this way? Thanks.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Is the TV hooked to satellite box or aerial for local TV channels?
- Have you selected correct input in Yamaha to get sound?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello. The T.V is connected to my Sky digital box and I think the input to soundbox was correct. It only has an optical input on back of soundbar.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
- Is the Sky box hooked to HDMI input of TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I think so. Sorry but not very good at this stuff. My son-in-law usually does this for me but he is not here just now!

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Shona for the info.
Sound bar have 4 audio inputs, 2 optical, 1 Coaxial and 1 analog audio input.
Please press either TV or BD/DVD button on sound bar remote to check if it gives sound output.
If it still doesn't work then recheck the optical cable and make sure it is plugged securely and tight in sound bar and back of TV.
If it still doesn't give sound then you can plug audio cable (RCA red-white pins) at Audio Out jacks at back of TV and hook them Analog (red-white) jacks at back of sound bar, press Analog button on sound bar to get TV program sound.
Please reply back with the result or if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried again with the optical cable but still no sound. I will have to get the audio cable you suggested and try that way. If that doesn't work I think the T.V may be the problem. Thanks for your help anyway!

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Shona, if optical cable doesn't work then audio cable will hopefully work because it contains analog audio signal and very simple circuitry involved.
Just in case, if it still doesn't work then I would recommend to connect audio or optical cable directly to Sky box instead of TV to get program sound in sound bar while watching the picture on TV.
Please reply back with the result.