Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have an Olympus digital voice recorder VN-3100PC. I used

Customer Question

I have an Olympus digital voice recorder VN-3100PC. I used it to record an interview two days ago and played it back, and it was fine. Now when I switch it on, it shows the home screen as usual, which then clears, leaving on the battery icon and the letters PC in the middle of the screen at the bottom. Help!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If you connect it to the computer, does the computer detect it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Richie

I've never connected it to any computer - have no idea where the cable is!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
We can test another way
We need to try to reinstall the firmware
Hold the STOP button, and hold the ERASE button for 3
seconds or longer.
Press the 9 or 0 button to select the “YES”.
Press the PLAY button.
After this, does it then function Nicola?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it returns to the "PC" at the bottom of the screen. Have tried several times.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Nicola, this confirms the problem
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it. The fact that we cannot get to the recovery window, confirms it is the memory that shorts out, and causes the device to stall.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the recorder to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.