michelleclive
michelleclive, Customer Service
Experience:  Working as a manager in a tech support company and i have an experience of 8 years and more in electronics device.
26798893

I have just downloaded the latest uk map to a garmin 205w .

I have just downloaded the latest uk map to a garmin 205w . how do I remove the old map ?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  michelleclive replied 2 years ago.
michelleclive :

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

michelleclive :

the process of removal will include deleting all supllementary maps first(including the one you just downloaded)...keep the original standard maps intact

michelleclive :

then you will have to download the latest maps again

michelleclive :

here are the steps

michelleclive :

• Connect the nuvi to your computer via USB cable or insert the secure digital (SD) card into an SD card reader within your computer.

• Open "My Computer" if you are on a Windows computer. Open the "Garmin nuvi" drive on the desktop if you are on an Apple computer.

• Open the "Garmin nuvi drive" folder.

• Open the "Garmin" folder.

• Delete "gmapsupp.img." This image contains any supplementary maps beyond the original maps. Do not delete "gmapbmap.img" which contains all standard maps including United States and European maps

michelleclive :

let me know if you have any questions

michelleclive :

please click on smiley face below if your question has been answered; else let me know and i will suggest further

michelleclive :

thanks for choosing just answer

Customer:

The Garmin is not mine , I was asked , by a friend , to update the map of UK &Ireland , I therefore purchased , on line , the UK and Ireland latest map . It seems that the device had the European map , but as it was installed to device memory there was only room for UK & I .In the literature it seems to imply that it can only be upgraded by the European latest map . Is there a way round this ? I tried your fix , but to no avail .

michelleclive :

you can use garmin express to check for updates

michelleclive :

click on link below for information about garmin express

michelleclive :

let me know if that answers your question or its some specific upgrade of a map or any other operation on garmin that needs to be done

michelleclive :

let me know and i will be able to answer further accordingly