Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

We've had our TV...Sony Bravia nearly 6 years. It's not connected

We've had our TV...Sony Bravia nearly 6 years. It's not connected to a computer. This January, out of the blue...it has started switching itself off for about 10 seconds and then switching on again! This tends to happen when we switch on to a BBC programme or switch over to BBC from another channel.
I emailed Sony who suggested I reset all the settings...but this has not madeany difference.
Any suggestions would be welcome!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number off of your Sony TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello..details as requested: model no: KDL 26S5500

thanks

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Heather for the info.
How did you reset the settings in TV as suggested by Sony?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Using my remote, I went to Home, Settings, SetUp, Auto Start Up and followed on screen instructions

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
This seems TV firmware (internal software) issue but unfortunately there is no firmware update available for UK model to cure the issue and it left us two options, either replace the main board of TV OR connect set top box and use tuner of set top box to watch TV channels on this TV.
Main board replacement would cost good money and I would recommend to connect set top box to TV that would have built in tuner so connect the aerial to set top box and connect AV out of box to AV input of TV then use top box remote to tune the channels to watch them on TV.
Please check following amazon link to view various brands of set top box to select any of your choice...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Set-top-Boxes-Sound-Vision/b?ie=UTF8&node=560880
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shahid...thanks for your prompt advice...better than Sony's...which was to send the TV away! I don't claim to fully understand what you've advised, but I know someone who will! He's recently provided us with a new aerial which has been fine until now!

Thanks again

Yours H Parr

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Excellent H Parr, glad to know that problem is resolved and TV is up and running with new aerial, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions or if problem reoccurs.
Regards,
Shahid.