Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

panasonic dmc-tz20 the lens will retract when switched on but

Customer Question

panasonic dmc-tz20 the lens will retract when switched on but wont when switched off and on screen message says system error focus i have recharged battery and taken out memory card but the message still appears and lens stays out when switched off, hope you can help as its the best camera ive had
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, please remove the battery and wait 10 minutes, then put the battery back in and turn it on and tell me how it now operates.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its exactly the same system error focus when switched on it retracts then stays out when off

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Linda
It is the mainboard that has faulted. Its not able to control the camera during the shutdown process, and this will be due to faulty memory on the board itself
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to hard reset it, which confirms this as the cause.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have the board replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is out of warranty what would be the cost and would it be feasable to repair or purchase a new camera thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No Linda, the cost to have the board sourced and installed, with the 1 month warranty you would get will exceed the value of it.
With these devices, its better to purchase a replacement as you then get the full warranty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your help

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
your welcome Linda
If you need anything else, please let me know
And please remember the service rating