Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

my nexus has ceased to charge, the charger is Ok as it still

my nexus has ceased to charge, the charger is Ok as it still charges other devices and we have a second charger which also works. When this started it would intitially start to charge and then cease after a minute or two, it now won't even do that.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Is it still turning on? Or it will not turn on at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it still turns on

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to Settings, then Apps.
Scroll to the list ALL
find Google Services Framework. press it and press Clear Data
Restart the Tablet and tell me if it now charges please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can't find settings

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Which model Nexus is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

7 asus

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Slide from the top of the screen and it is the icon with the three lines.
Like page 11 here in the manual
https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/support-kms-prod/SNP_2670257_en_v2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there does not appear to be a google services framework. there is a google play services

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is there, you have to look under the list ALL, it will be there under the ALL list Eric
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cannot find 'all'

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You need to scroll to it Eric
There are lists that the apps are under, eg: Downloaded, you see this at the top, scroll the the list ALL please
It is there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in Apps now, heading is 'downloaded' there is no 'all'. I tried 'google apps' but that didn't look good, the other apps don't seem relevant being mainly games, weather, news, travel, Gmail, Skype etc.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, you need to swipe to the next list which is All.
Swipe to the left or right to get there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I swiped to the right 5 apps only when I swiped back the heading had changed to all and a number of hidden apps appeared. I found the services framework, presed clear data and it still won't charge.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then restart the Nexus, after clearing the data Eric and then tell me if it charges please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still not charging

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
We will have to reset the Tablet to reinstall the firmware and rule this out as causing the issue.
This will remove all data and return the device to new, but this cannot be avoided.
To do the reset, please do the following
Go to Settings.
Backup & Reset
Factory Data Reset
Then Reset Tablet
Let this complete and when it has, setup the Tablet again and tell me please if it now charges.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still not charging

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the issue
It is the internal battery that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by clearing the system cache and reinstalling it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the nexus to have the battery replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your efforts, it took a long time but that's the internet. At least I can go looking for a battery.

Eric

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Eric
Its always a process of eliminating the causes for this until we can confirm it which we did.
Let me know if you need anything else, and please remember the service rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Failed, new battery had no effect, still doesn't charge, looked at the USB socket, nothing obvious, with the limited tools I have available I don't feel confident about changing the socket which appears to be the problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Is the socket loose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not obviously, I bought a new one but fitting it looks to be too fine for my eyes now so I have passed the repair to a local expert.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok,, likely to be the mainboard then Eric, get a price before he repairs it as the cost can outweigh purchasing a replacement one.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As we were unable to resolve the problem I concluded that it was the charging socket, I have passed the socket change to a local company. I had not wished to give a rating as the problem was not solveable by E mail but you tried hard, however I thought that you might have homed in on the socket fairly quickly.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Eric, it took a long time to get you to do the first instructions, a lot of back and forth as you were mis reading them, thats where the delay was and if you scroll up and read through out interaction, you will see this, then we were able to hone down on the problem. But if you don't wish to compensate for the work done, thats your choice.