michelleclive
michelleclive, Customer Service
Experience:  Working as a manager in a tech support company and i have an experience of 8 years and more in electronics device.
26798893

My Akoya P6620 Laptop has been operating on Windows 8.1 for

My Akoya P6620 Laptop has been operating on Windows 8.1 for about 4 months and has worked fine.
for the past 3weeks it shows itself to be connected to the WiFi but not to the internet I have switched wifi off and on including the airplane tab. i have connected direct by wire to the modem still not connected. i have just restarted while connected by wire while writing this on my PC still nothing. Also tried Function F7.
all other equipment is connecting to the net using wifi no problem.
Just recorded a speedtest of 64.
I have also tried recovery which has run out of places to go also System Mechanic
Am I missing something is the answer simple?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  michelleclive replied 2 years ago.
michelleclive :

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

michelleclive :

open device manager

michelleclive :

click on search button and type in device manager you will see the icon appears click on it

michelleclive :

as you are there let me know

Customer:

as explained what is your advice

Customer:

why

michelleclive :

open device manager

as you are there let me know

Customer:

My Akoya P6620 Laptop has been operating on Windows 8.1 for about 4 months and has worked fine. for the past 3weeks it shows itself to be connected to the WiFi but not to the internet I have switched wifi off and on including the airplane tab. i have connected direct by wire to the modem still not connected. i have just restarted while connected by wire while writing this on my PC still nothing. Also tried Function F7. all other equipment is connecting to the net using wifi no problem. Just recorded a speedtest of 64. I have also tried recovery which has run out of places to go also System Mechanic Am I missing something is the answer simple?

michelleclive :

my advise is to check if the wifi driver on the computer is working fine or not

Customer:

How do i do that

michelleclive :

are you getting my reply

michelleclive :

click on search button and type in device manager you will see the icon appears click on it.

Customer:

yes opened device manager

michelleclive :

ok great

michelleclive :

click on the > network adapter

michelleclive :

let me know what all are listed in there

Customer:

clicked on network adapter it has Realtek PCIe Family Realtek RTL8191SE Wirless LAN 802.11n PC1-E NIC the rest are WAN Miniports

Customer:

Miniports are listed as IKEv2

michelleclive :

Thank you for the infor

Customer:

8 Miniports are listed as IKEv2, IP, IPv6, L2TP, Network Monitor, PPPOE, PPTP, SSTP.

michelleclive :

I want you to power off the router by pulling out the ac adapter and wait for 3 mins

michelleclive :

reconnect the ac adapter and let the router power on and boot up

michelleclive :

that will take 2 mins

michelleclive :

after that you can try to connect the laptop using the correct wifi password ***** it should connect.

michelleclive :

incase it does not let me know.

Customer:

PC on ethernet has re-connected as well as tablets and phones without a problem. But the laptop now refuses to connect to wifi just plugged in ethernet cable it recognises the modem and states it is connected but still does not connect to internet

michelleclive :

did you reboot the router and follow the steps i gave.

Customer:

yes but the laptop wont let me switch wifi on

michelleclive :

there must be a wifi physical switch on the sides of the laptop try to locate the switch and turn it on

michelleclive :

incase it doesnt have a physical switch then look for the wifi signal icon on the keyboard from F1 to F12 keys

michelleclive :

if you find one Press the Fn key hold it down and then hit the wifi icon button on the top it will turn on the wifi

Customer:

just disabled firewall as suggested in the trouble shooter and re-started now switched Wifi on using Fn F7 it states connected but Web browser says no connection just ried itunes app it says no connection.

michelleclive :

did you check my reply on wifi switch

Customer:

yes fn F7 switched it on ok but still no internet.

michelleclive :

press the Fn and F7 together if its enabled the wifi signal should be seen on the bottom right hand side on the system tray

michelleclive :

let me know if you see the wifi icon on the system tray

Customer:

Yes as i said wifi is connected as before but no internet using the browser or itunes app

michelleclive :

if it says wifi connected and not internet then it very much clear that the wifi signal of your computer is not being allowed by the router signal to the dns server.

Customer:

it is even recording usage in the system tray 4mb used in 19 minutes

michelleclive :

in this case you will have to login to the router page and change the router password ***** save it

michelleclive :

let the router boot and then you will be able to connect fine with the laptop and will have internet

michelleclive :

you can connect other devices later after the computer connects fine

michelleclive :

try and let me know.

Customer:

how do i login to a router page how do i find it

michelleclive :

what is the routers make and model number

Customer:

do you mean the virgin modem

michelleclive :

yes

Customer:

Virgin superhub nETGEAR VMDG480

michelleclive :

you will have to connect the laptop physically to the netgear router using a lan cable and then follow the steps on the link given below

Customer:

The ehternet is connected and recognises the router but still says there is no internet connection. I just typed in the link you gave me on to the laptops browser but it then says webpage is not available with the Dinahsoar emoticon.

michelleclive :

do you have internet now as you connect the laptop to the router physically?

michelleclive :

click on start select run and then type in cmd and hit enter

michelleclive :

you will see a black box

michelleclive :

type in ipconfig and hit enter

michelleclive :

look for the ip address and gateway address and let me know that.

Customer:

No it identifies my virgin router as connected but the browser and all apps that need internet say check your connection remember im using my PC connected on the LAN as the PC does not have Wifi and two tablets are also in use without any problem. as i said before the speed test on the PC is 64 so there is no shortage of broadband facility.

michelleclive :

connect the laptop using a lan cable to the port at the back of the netgear router you will see 4 ports connect to any one of it you will have internet then.

michelleclive :

once connected let me know i will do the other job with remote access.

Customer:

the LAN has been connected since you told me to at 5.49 it identifies my virgin router as connected but the browser and all apps that need internet say check your connection

michelleclive :

are you not getting the internet connection on the laptop by connecting a lan cable?

Customer:

That is correct

michelleclive :

please let me know the ipaddress

Customer:

How do i find the ip address

Customer:

Just found this on the back of the router 192.168.0.1

michelleclive :

please open yoir browser

michelleclive :

in address bar type 192.168.0.1 and press neter

michelleclive :

enter

michelleclive :

let me know once the page opens

Customer:

it says this webpage is not available

michelleclive :

is the lan cable connected tom computer

michelleclive :

is the lan cable connected to computer

Customer:

do you want me to use the PC computer or the laptop

Customer:

both are connected by LAN

michelleclive :

the laptop

michelleclive :

connect the laptop to router with a lan cable

Customer:

has been

michelleclive :

once you connect the lan cable to the laptop, the port in which you plug it in should blink lights

michelleclive :

please check and let me know if its doing that

Customer:

yes it is

michelleclive :

in search box type cmd..open command prompt

michelleclive :

type ipconfig and press enter

michelleclive :

let me know the ipaddress

Customer:

IPv4 adress 192.168.0.17 it then has default gateway 192.168.0.1

michelleclive :

ok

michelleclive :

please type 192.168.0.17 in the address bar of your browser and press enter

michelleclive :

let me know if it opens a router settings page

Customer:

no still says webpage not available

michelleclive :

type this in browser

michelleclive :

192.168.0.1

michelleclive :

does this open any webpage asking for username and password

Customer:

No still says webpage not available I have just noticed on the command prompt Wireless LAN adapter WiFi: Media State ....Media Disconnected

michelleclive :

please type device manager in search box

michelleclive :

open device manager

michelleclive :

click on network adapters

michelleclive :

let me know what do you see under it

Customer:

same as before Realtek PCIe Family Realtek RTL8191SE Wirless LAN 802.11n PC1-E NIC 8 Miniports are listed as IKEv2, IP, IPv6, L2TP, Network Monitor, PPPOE, PPTP, SSTP.

michelleclive :

right click on realtek wireless lan and uninstall

michelleclive :

once done restart computer by shutting it down and then turning it on after about a minute

Customer:

doing it now

michelleclive :

ok

Customer:

restarting

michelleclive :

ok

Customer:

networks tray says Lan is connected and also wifi waiting for loading to settle down then will retry browser

michelleclive :

ok

Customer:

webpage still not available

michelleclive :

check the ip address and let me know what you get

Customer:

same as before IPv4 adress 192.168.0.17 it then has default gateway 192.168.0.1

Customer:

and Media State Disconnected

michelleclive :

1. Open the Start menu by clicking the orb in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.

2. Type “cmd” in the search bar at the bottom of the menu.

3. Right-click on cmd in the search results for Programs, and select Run as administrator. Depending on your computer settings, you may be asked to provide an administrator password ***** you can continue.

Full Size Image

4. A black box with a flashing cursor will open; this is the Command Prompt. Type “netsh winsock reset” and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard.

Full Size Image

5. Wait for the Command Prompt to run through the reset. Once it’s complete, you’ll see the message “Winsock reset completed successfully”.

6. Restart your computer to finish.

michelleclive :

try to connect to the internet and let me know if that opens

Customer:

restarting but i will be back in half an hour is that ok

michelleclive :

no problem

Customer:

just starting it up

Customer:

Thankyou we now have connection it was started up with the LAN then i opened my email site then pulled the plug it then needed the wifi code and connected to the network straight away. Well done and thankyou for your marathon effort excellent service is deserved.

michelleclive :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further

michelleclive, Customer Service
Experience: Working as a manager in a tech support company and i have an experience of 8 years and more in electronics device.