Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

there, I am trying to connect my apple tv to my Pioneer

Hi there,
I am trying to connect my apple tv to my Pioneer Television. I can get pictures but no sound. Can you suggest what I can try to resolve my problem.
Many thanks,
Elaine
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number of your Pioneer TV?
- How did you connect optical digital audio cable on TV and Apple TV device? can you please get me the label on jacks where the optical cable plugged in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pioneer Media receiver PDP-R06XE

I just plugged the digital audio cable into the back of the apple tv box, labelled optical audio and into the back of the Pioneer receiver labelled optical digital out.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
I'm working on it and get back to you in 15 minutes.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
What type of video cable is used to connect Apple TV box to Pioneer TV media receiver?
Is it HDMI cable or AV cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HDMI

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
Have you tried to check audio signal type for HDMI input-3 or 4 (where the Apple TV plugged in) in TV menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I get to the tv menu please?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Please press Home Menu then select Option then select HDMI Input then select Setting then select Enable then select Video in 'activates the HDMI terminal' and set it to Auto then select Audio and set it to Auto as well.
Now turn On Apple TV box and check does sound come through TV speakers?
Please reply back with the result or if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I access that menu when I am on input 4? I press the button but nothing happens

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried that but there is only a video option on that hdmi input

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Can you please try HDMI-3 input instead of HDMI-4?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I managed to change the settings on HDMI 3 but there is still no sound on apple tv

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, do you have another video device such as DVD or bluray player to connect it to HDMI input of TV for sound check?
This way we will narrow down the problem to see if it is TV problem or Apple TV box isn't sending out sound signal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Our sky box is usually attached to HDMI 3 and it seems to work fine. Do you want me to swop it to HDMI 4 and try again?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Yes please, try it to see if Sky box sound comes from TV through HDMI-4 ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes there is sound on Sky when it is connected to HDMI4

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Elaine,
It seems Apple TV sound output isn't match with your Pioneer TV (due to different sound signal format which TV hardware doesn't support) through HDMI input which is digital connection.
Can you please check Apple TV for any other output jacks available to try it on TV or provide me Apple TV box model number to see it myself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

on the back of the apple tv box there are five ports. A power port, an HDMI port, a micro usb port, an optical digital audio port and an ethernet port.

The model number is *****

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** sound settings on Apple TV box, On Apple TV, choose Settings > Audio & Video > Dolby Digital, and select it Off then check sound output.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry. I've already tried that, but it made no difference. I've just tried again and still no luck!

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Elaine,
last thing that we can try is to connect Apple TV to another LCD TV (should be newer model) to verify if Apple TV box is providing sound output or has internal issue.
If Apple TV works on another TV but not on Pioneer then it would be mismatch of both devices and I would recommend to get Roku box instead of Apple box for video streaming as Roku box works with older TVs as well and Roku-2 box would be great if still available as it has HDMI out and AV Out jacks as well for analog AV output for older TVs.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech