Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

there I have a new Samsung UHD TV which I am trying to

Customer Question

Hi there
I have a new Samsung UHD TV which I am trying to get my Denon AVR-2123 to connect to. I have connected the HDMI from the "out" on the AVR into the ARC input on the TV but have an error message telling me there is no signal. I have reset the AVR and still no signal.
It all worked fine with my old Sony TV and the only thing that has changed is the TV. Plugging my Sky box direct into the TV works.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Does Denon AVR-2123 HDMI out has ARC mark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Yes it does, and it's an AVR2312, apologies!

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info, I'm working on it and get back to you in few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to turn On Anynet+ feature in TV which will enable HDMI-CEC options so ARC function will work?
Please reply back with the result.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have. It picks up both the Sky box and the PS3 I have connected to the AVR, but still shows no signal error message

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info.
Since Sky box works fine directly with TV that means Denon receiver is causing the problem. Please unplug TV and Denon Receiver power cords from wall socket for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, turn them On and check as it seems HDMI handshake/ communication problem between TV and Denon receiver.
Please reply back with the result or we will try different connection setup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

I have unplugged them both for 20 mins and plugged back in. Still showing as no connection

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible for you to connect PS3 and Sky box HDMI cables directly in TV for picture and connect HDMI input of TV that has ARC mark to HDMI Out of Denon to get sound whatever is being played on TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shahid,

Just so I am clear, I need to connect Sky box into another HDMI port on the TV then connect the ARC input to the Denon output?

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Correct, HDMI input with ARC mark must be connected to Denon HDMI Out and use other HDMI inputs on TV for Sky box and PS3 video sources for this test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have now connected the Sky box direct to HDMI port 1 in the TV and the Denon to HDMI port 4 which has the ARC mark on it. I have picture and sound through the TV with no input registering on port 4

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
So it is Denon which isn't communicating with TV for some reason.
Have you tried to update Denon firmware (internal software)?
If not yet, please check following Denon link, put Denon model and serial number to see if Denon has released any firmware update for it?
http://firmware.denon.eu/index.php
If there is update/ upgrade available, please go ahead and install it in Denon as per instructions on that page, then connect Denon to TV and check how it worked. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shahid

I have checked and the last update was in 2013 so it will have been updated.

Is there anything else you would suggest?

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, have you tried another HDMI cable between TV and Denon?
Also, have you turn On the HDMI Control function in HDMI Setup of Denon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried another cable, brand new one!

The problem I have is that I can't see the menu on the Denon as there is no picture showing.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I understand, Denon also has Video (yellow) Monitor out jack and Component Video Out so we can use it to connect it to TV to view the menu.
How did you reset the Denon?
Was the procedure press Power while simultaneously pressing Preset Channel 2 and Preset Channel 3 buttons on Denon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, not sure if I have one of those...

Yes, that was the reset procedure Denon recommended

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Please check the RCA jacks at rear of Denon which are marked as Monitor Out.
Can you try to connect them to TV AV input to get Denon menu screen?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!

Please reply back here if there is additional questions.