Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Dear SirI have a Gigaset SL785 phone. About 4 months ago

Customer Question

Dear Sir I have a Gigaset SL785 phone. About 4 months ago it stopped displaying caller numbers. All incoming calls display external now. I have plugged another phone into the same line and it displays caller numbers. So, I know its the SL785 where the problem lies. Whatever I do doesn't seem to enable caller number to be displayed. Display number is ***** I have reset the phone. CAn you give me any other pointers please? Regards Nick

Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What does it now display when a call comes in?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All incoming calls display external now

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, thats the default message.
When you did the reset, did all the settings go back to default?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes they did. I completely reset the phone. Deleted phone book and reinstalled as though it was new. I was expecting that to cure the problem. Alas it still displayed external rather than the number. Another phone on the line works fine.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Nicholas, then it confirms the problem
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by reinstalling it. We also have confirmed the line is not at fault. It is the memory and its not able to write to the segment on the chip for this function.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the phone to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.