Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

, I was bought a Nikon Coolpix S3300 2012. I

I was bought a Nikon Coolpix S3300 for Xmas 2012. I have only used it a handful of times and came to charge it up last night, however, there was little response. First of all there was no light to show me it was charging. Then the green light started flashing. Then after a while, there was no light again. Then there was a stationary green light. During this time, I tried to turn the camera on, but there was no response. So, this morning, I went into Maplin to ask for their advise. They tried a new charger lead, but this didn't make any difference. They then tried a new battery. This made the on/off button light up, which it hadn't done previously and also the screen lit up slightly but the lens didn't open. I have since had the camera (with it's existing battery) on charge for a few hours and it is now allowing the camera's on/off button to light up and the screen sometimes lights up as well. It has also made a few beeping noises. Then an error message came on the screen saying 'this card cannot be used' (or something to that effect). This error has not appeared since, but another error of 'not available if eye-fi card is locked' has appeared.
Please can you advise what is wrong and what needs to happen to fix my camera?
Many thanks,
Hayley
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you remove the memory card from the camera as it seems to be complaining about this.
Then start the camera and tell me please what then happens
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The screen flashes slightly with a beep noise and the on/off button is green. Also the charging light is flashing green (it is not plugged in to charge).

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, remove the battery and leave it sit for 10minutes.
Then put the battery back in, and turn it on (still with no memory card).
Same results Hayley?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The screen flashes on and then off. There is a beep noise. The on/off button turns green and the charging light is flashing green.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the problem
It is the internal mainboard that has faulted.
We have ruled out all other causes for this
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to replace it. The warranty will have expired and a repair will cost more then the value of a replacement camera.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is disappointing. Thank you anyway for your help.

Do I still have to pay £20 for this service as I am not satisfied with the result? I still have a camera that doesn't work.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, but I can only go through and eliminate all other causes for this problem Hayley, so that we confirm the issue. It is for my service you paid for, but if you are not satisfied with my service, then no, you do not need to pay me for the service I provided you.