Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Olympus OM-D E-10 shutter curtain flashes open when camera

Customer Question

Olympus OM-D E-10 shutter curtain flashes open when camera is turned on and then stayed closed. Shutter button can not be depressed nor do any of the other buttons work eg Menu.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, remove the battery and wait 10 minutes.
Then put the battery back into the camera, turn it on and tell me exactly what happens now please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have taken out battery and left for 10 minutes. Still the same. The shutter curtains opens and closes a couple of times then stays closed the lens extends stays out 30 seconds retracts and then nothing.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Sarah
Remove the lens and make sure there is no dust or anything on the connectors.
Blow it out and make sure it is completly clean then put it back on and telll me if it now functions please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have cleaned the contracts and no improvement. I actually dropped the camera this morning with a150-300mm lens fitted. The lens hit the ground first but the lower part of the body did then hit the ground at one end. Unfortunately it was gravel in a car park so not a very forgiving surface.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Sarah
It is either the contacts or the mainboard that has faulted. It is likey to be from the drop
We ruled out all other causes for this
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have it repaired. If there are no physical marks from the drop, and the warranty is still valid, you can have it done under this. Else get a price first for the repair as the cost may exceed the value of purchasing a replacement.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for trying it is as I thought something that will need to be returned to the manufacturer for repair. It is a great pity as its a week into a four week holiday in New Zealand! I will now have to rely on the trusty iPhone instead.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome Sarah and sorry about this, at least the iPhone takes good photos, but yes would have been much better with the Olympus
Enjoy your holidays and be safe