Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My Epson DX7400 printer is telling me that all the cartridges

My Epson DX7400 printer is telling me that all the cartridges are ok (I replaced them all yesterday with compatibles from a company I have used before,) and it draws the paper through as if printing, but there's no writing on the paper. I have been advised to take the cartridges out and replace them, but the machine won't respond in the usual way and let me do this as I guess it doesn't think there's anything wrong with the cartridges.
I am a senior, and not very IT savvy, but I run a charity fund-raising group, so I need the printer to work.
Please can you help me with some simple instructions?
Jane
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To check, when you open the printer to change the cartridges, the print head (that holds the cartridges) does not slid to the middle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it doesn't.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, this is your problem
Try to gently push it with your finger towards the Middle, does this get it to move?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it's firmly docked on the right hand side, even when I press Stop.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, remove the power from the printer and wait 10 minutes.
then connect the power again and check if it now moves to the middle.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It moved to the left side then returned to the right and has not responded to Stop.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, so no way to get at it correct Jane?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes- I don't want to force it -so frustrating! What to do next?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You have to force it, but you wont break it, do it as hard as possible, else the next step is to have the print head replaced.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cartridge holder accessible on right -I've opened its lid.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, remove the ink cartridges and put the old ones back in
Then see if it prints.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Put the old ones back in -it's just told me that each one needs replacing.

Red and green lights flashing.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the problem Jane
It is the print head that has faulted and needs replacing.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you -it's well out of warranty,so may be cheaper to buy a new printer?

Is this model still available? I have found it quite easy to use, and it copies well. What do you think?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It would be cheaper for you as these printers are very cheap.
If you like the model I would recommend you stick with it and most stores still stock this model Jane.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help - this is good advice, and you have dealt with my enquiry simply but efficiently, which is what we old non-tekkies need!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Your most welcome Jane

It is best to stick to a printer you already know

If you need anything else, please let me know, and please remember the service rating by clicking one of the smiley faces or stars please.

Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer