Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Canon printer MP 550. When I switch on it shows a

I have a Canon printer MP 550. When I switch on it shows a message B200, Printer error has Occurred. Unplug the power cord and contact the service centre" Can you assist please Geoff XXXX

Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This signifies an error with the mainboard.
As the first step Geoff, can you remove the power from the printer and wait 10 minutes. Then connect the power and tell me please if you still get the error.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I removed the power cord and waited 10 minutes, when I reconnected I got the same message again.

I should also mention that I have been having frequent problems lately with the message that "printer error has occurred switch off the power and switch back on again" This corrected the problem for only a short while and then came back again.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Geoff
It is the internal mainboard that has faulted, which I initially suspected
A residue power can cause this. But we have ruled this out now.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have the mainboard replaced. It will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. This is a hardware problem, its not software
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help. My warranty has run out so I think the answer is a new printer.

Thanks again

Geoff

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome Geoff, and yes, a replacement is better as the cost to repair will exceed the cost of a new printer
If you need anything else, please let me know
And please remember the service rating