Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I cannot get a picture. The sound is OK and I can change channels.

I cannot get a picture. The sound is OK and I can change channels. I have a Humax to record programmes. I have read the tips in the handbook. Please can you help?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me the make and model of the device with the problem please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Phillips 15PF5121 Flat TV. Also Humax PVR-9150T

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Is the TV showing anything on the screen at all Catherine?
Or its completely dark?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The screen is completely dark, but the sound is OK. I can also change channels. Just no picture.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
remove the power to the TV and wait 10 minutes for all residue power to drain.
Disconnect it from the Humax then turn it on and tell me if you see anything at all appear on the screen please. Any message
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have unplugged the main for 15 minutes, and disconnected the Humax. When I reconnected the mains, the TV was dead, until I replugged the Humax and as before, the sound is there, but no picture.

Help!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Catherine
It is the internal backlight on the TV that has faulted. It is functioning as you get sound but without the Backlight you wont get any picture and this needs to be replaced.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have it repaired. It will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at know cost to you. If the warranty has expired this is not a very expensive repair to have done.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for the help.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
your most welcome