Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Fault on combi DVD-VHS recorder unit The machine showed

Fault on combi DVD-VHS recorder unit
The machine showed the message that a DVD recording had not completed due to a scratched disc. I followed the recovery procedure (UH61) but then received the message that the Self-check procedure had failed. No matter how many times I follow the online instructions I am always returned to that same error message. Is there a way I can overide this and perform a manual recovery? As it now stands I cannot use the unit at all.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me the make and model of the unit please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about this, I will have to respond later as I am not able to provide the information immediately. I will reply to your question tonight (about 9 hours from now) I really should have contacted you last night!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thats no problem
Till then John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The unit is a DVD/VHS Recorder, the Model No DMR-EZ48VEB.

I also have a second DVD/HDD recorder, DMR-EX7 68EB which has a similar problem also due to a scratched disc: the message relating to the previous recording keeps re-appearing and the unit refuses to read discs at all.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks John
It does this on all disks?
Have you tried a different batch of DVD's?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For the DVD/HDD unit: I have tried other types of disc including pre-recorded and it will not read any of them.

For the DVD/VHS unit: I haven't tried any more discs as I presumed the unit needed to complete the recovery process before I could use it again. This of course is the problem as it fails to complete the process each time it tries to reset.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What happens when it fails to complete? Does it give a specific error message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The message stated that the "self-check" failed. The instructions were then to press OK on the remote, wait until the unit had switched off, then switch power on. Despite doing this, the same message reappears.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks John, this confirms the issue as I have seen it a number of times
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
Its failing to read the memory during the check and this is when you encounter the problem.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the recorder to have it replaced. It it will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well that's bad news for me as I think the warranty may have expired.

As for the other (DVD/HDD) unit, is there any way I can get it to read discs again or will this have to be replaced too? It keeps repeating the message about a scratched disc on the previous recording (made months ago) and will not read any type of disc. I have tried using a head cleaner but with no result.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you tried using a head cleaner then its the head that has the scratch.
This is the lens that is used, and you can try to have the lens replaced, but in my experience, unless you can dismantle and do it yourself, it costs more then a replacement player.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a bad feeling that might be the case. I will keep the unit as the HDD still operates and it has recordings I would like to have access to.

Thanks for your assistance on this

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome John.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.