Viet - Technician
Viet - Technician, Technician
Experience:  Electronics Tech. Troubleshoot consumer electronics devices.
30037186

I have a canon MX535 printer linked to an iMac desktop. The

I have a canon MX535 printer linked to an iMac desktop.
The print commands don't seem to allow me to print only
a selected part of a document. can this be done?
clive Smith
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Viet - Technician replied 2 years ago.

What kind of document is it, such as a word document or pdf document, or a web page, etc.?

What's your Internet browser application, i.e., Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc.?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In Word, you get the option of printing a pre-selected portion of the document. I can save this as a preset. However, when I then use this same preset to print off a portion of an email or web-page the 'print only selected' option does not appear. I use both Safari and Firefox, it makes no difference to this problem. My difficulty has only occurred since I changed to this Pixma printer a few weeks ago. I can get partially around it by copying and pasting from email to Word but I believe there should be a quicker direct method, perhaps with third-party printer software?

Clive

Safari does not have built-in option to print selection. For Firefox, select something you want to print in a web page, then click on File menu, then click on Print, then click on "Show details" if shown, then do you see the option "Selection" or "Print Selection Only" or something similar?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes thanks, ***** ***** to work OK in Firefox. Shame about Safari.

What about Apple Mail? We order a lot on the internet and the seller then sends an order confirmation. Normally we only need to print a few lines and the rest are pages of terms and conditions, adverts etc This is where it really frustrating not being able to print just a small selection.

Any ideas for a quick solution?

You're welcome. Great. For mail, please try:

• Open Mail and select the text you want in an email message.
  • Go to the Mail menu and select Services, then select Make New Sticky Note.
  • The application Stickies will open and you’ll see a new sticky note on your screen that contains the text you selected in your email message.
  • Go to the File menu and select Print.
  • Click the Print button to print that sticky note.

- And/or another way: Control-click or right-click on the selected text in the email message. Then a popup menu will appear, then select the item "New TextEdit Window Containing Selection".

- If needed, go to the Apple logo / menu, then select System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts, select Services and check 'New TextEdit Window Containing...'. Whenever you select the text in Mail, Control-Click and choose New TextEdit Window Containing Selection and print from TextEdit.

Please let me know. Thank you.