Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20. On playback most pictures appear,

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20. On playback most pictures appear, but many (so far 26) say 'This motion picture cannot be played'. Why? and what can I do about it.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
You recorded these videos on the Camera itself? Or they came from another source?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot recall the origins of these videos because I can't play them back. All the videos I do recall taking I have copied onto my computer where they appear without any problem. I had, I thought, deleted them from the camera at the time.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, the only real reason is the videos came from another source thats in a format the Lumix cannot read (computers can read much more formats).
Delete the files and take a new video and tell me if this plays please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I select delete the camera says 'this picture cannot be deleted'.

I have successfully taken another video which plays.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, this confirms the pictures came from a different source
Take the memory card out of the camera
Put it into a computer and delete all the files there
Then you can put it back into the camera and continue to use it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have complied with your instructions. The memory card is now back in the camera and continues to display 'this motion picture cannot be played' on playback and 'this picture cannot be deleted' when I try to delete!! The few pictures I had on the camera, including the video, are now loaded successfully on the computer and have been successfully deleted from the memory card. Now brain dead - breaking for lunch!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
So you deleted all photos and films from the card.
Then put it back in the camera.
And it then still showed additional photos and films even though you deleted everything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - all photos and films were deleted as I imported from memory card to computer.

Yes - it still showed additional photos and films - though I could not see any of them as 'this motion picture cannot be played' is displayed on the playback screen.

I also again tried to delete and the same message i.e. 'this picture cannot be deleted' appeared. I tried multiple delete to no avail. The 'delete Multi' display showed 28 movie items each with an ! (exclamation mark) across it.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it appears the memory card is faulty, which is why they will not delete these files.
This is why you have the issue.
Replace the memory card and use the new memory card and it will then function correctly Rosalind.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer