Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a SonyWireless headphone system MDR-RF810RK

I have a SonyWireless headphone system MDR-RF810RK for which the transmitter is not working.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Do you get noise in headphones?
- Have you tried to slide the channel switch on base unit to try other channel to get sound in headphones?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no noise from the headphones
I have tried to switch channels to no avail.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, does power light on base/transmitter unit lit and charge light also lit when put headphones on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, everything seems to work as it should.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks David for the info.
It seems base unit has got internal failure and unfortunately Sony doesn't provide schematics of this unit to check/repair it on component level, I'm sorry for this news so a new wireless headphone unit is the only option.
I understand that you may not like the above news/ answer so please do not rate the answer if you think it is not helpful and select 'relist' option to get second opinion from another expert.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is more or less what I expected as I had tried just about everything, but the annoying thing is that I have hardly used the unit but it is still out of warranty.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry about that, very rarely this kind of problem occurs in this headphones, I wish I had better news about it.
I have found same model (used) headphone set on ebay for 5.50 Pounds only and you can swap it with defective base unit...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-MDR-RF810-Headband-Wireless-Headphones-Black-/281638250535?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4192f2a827
and another complete unit of same model for 13.50 Pounds...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-MDR-RF810RK-Headband-Wireless-Headphones-Black-/151624637402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234d885bda
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.