*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

I have a Garmin Nuvi 3790 and have loaded Middle Eats Map.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 3790 and have loaded Middle Eats Map. The device recognises the map is loaded, I can see the files on the SD Card, the "where to" uses it to create a route but the actual map overlay is not displayed. Can you help?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. You may need to hide or turnoff the existing map, From the main menu screen press the "Tools" button
Press "Settings"
Scroll until you see "Map" and click it.
Click "Map Info"
Check maps you want to display and uncheck those you would like to hide.
Hit back a few times and you'll be back at the menu; then see if the Middle East map will work correctly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried that as I also have a map of Europe loaded. The map of Europe displays OK but not the Middle East Map.

okay, If both maps display in the window, uncheck the Europe map. This allows the Middle East map to display properly without any conflicts from the other map.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried that - still no display of the map overlay.

ps closed the on line window by mistake...do you want to try again?

thats okay, we can chat here in this format. Did you try pressing and hold the Power Key for 10 seconds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did a full power down and restart after deselecting the Europe Map. Still no joy.

I did a clean out of old maps in the .system folder a few days ago and am wondering if I have deleted a system file I should not have. But the Europe map displays OK so I am struggling to understand why I have the problem with the Middle East map.

that is strange, the best option at this point will be to reload the map. Load the sd card in your computer and then delete the file, you can right click on the file name and choose delete. Then download the file again and reload to the card. If that does not work copy the download link and post it in your reply and we can check to see if the file is corrupt.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Before I do that I have been comparing the .Map file structures between the device hard drive and the sd card. There seems to be 3 files associated with the map GMA, DISC IMAGE FILE and UNL but it is not the same between the two maps. I would like to send you a printout of the drives - the insert feature does not support word files. What does each file type do and is this the root of my problem - there is an old GMA file which I do not believe is associated with any loaded map.

okay, I can view the document that you have attached. The small gma and unl files are just support files that do not really have any affect on the img file. The disc img file looks correct, everything should work. There must be a glitch with the download. Try it again and see if it works correctly. There have not been any system wide reported errors to Garmin with that download, usually if one is giving a lot of problems it will be reported. So this could be a glitch with the individual file. Try it again and let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Am reloading the files. On looking on the internet I spotted I am supposed to have a gmapprom.img file in the drive....I may have deleted this. It says it is only used once but has to be present. Could this be the problem?

This is the explanation of the GMAPPROM.img> On a Garmin navigation device with preloaded maps, the name of the main map file will be GMAPPROM.IMG.
That will be its name, no matter what map product you have. That will continue to be its name even if you do updates to it from Garmin's web updater.
The update simply replaces the old GMAPPROM.IMG with the new one.
Are you using Garmin Express to download the Midddle East map?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. Have downloaded the map to both the hard drive and the SD Card. Still no map overlay. I noted that when using the Garmin Account it does not recognise that the download of the map has happened?

Have cleaned out both sets of maps and will reload from scratch and see if that makes a difference.

okay, On a memory card, gmapsupp.img is recognized in a \Garmin folder, but maps with other names need to be in \Map.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have not got this file in either location.

okay, install this on your computer>

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291

Download the MapInstall update file into a directory on your hard drive. (i.e., c:\garmin). Change to the directory in which you downloaded the files, (i.e., c:\garmin), and run the executable file (.exe). Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the MapInstall installation.

install this on your computer>
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience: I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Already have this software and tried it - no joy.

If this last clear out and reload does not work I will call it a day with this device and buy a new one...it will be cheaper in the long run.

Thanks for all you help and advice.

Your welcome!
Please let me know if you need any other assistance.
Please take a moment to rate my service positively.
Thank you very much!