Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My epson XP- 305 printer wont print from my computer. I get

Customer Question

My epson XP- 305 printer wont print from my computer. I get a message on my computer saying "printer is in error state" . Help please. Tried reloading printer set up software.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please if your using a windows or Mac computer and which version?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my computer is an HP Pavilion 23 loaded with windows 8

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
As the first step, remove the power from the printer and wait 5 minutes.
Then connect the power to the printer, restart the computer and tell me if you can now print.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have removed power from the printer and repowered this morning and no change.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
When were you last able to print?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 1 week ago

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, we will do a system restore to undo any corruption that has occurred, causing this.
Go to the Windows 8 Start Screen and type restore point. When the search results appear click on the Settings category.
Now click on the option labeled Create a restore point and you will be brought to the System Protection tab of the System Properties control panel.
Click on the System Restore button and you will be presented with the main screen for System Restore. Now click on the Next button and you will be shown a list of available restore points that you can restore.
Select the restore point you wish to restore by left-clicking on the entry once. Use a date when this was working so before a week ago.
Then click on the Next button at the restore point selection screen. You will now be at a screen asking if you are sure you wish to perform the restore.
Click on the Finish button. System Restore will once again ask if you are sure you wish to continue. If you are sure, please click on the Yes button.
System Restore will now reboot your computer and begin the restore process. Please be patient as this can take quite some time.
Once done, attempt to print.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I go to the start screen where do I type ??? Theres no box to type in.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You just start typing.
It will show it then automatically
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ive got to restore point and cant change the date to a week ago

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You need to click on it in the calendar on that page.
Look for a calendar entry before a week ago please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there is no calender ! just a date against the program

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Put a check at the bottom for Show more Restore points.
Do additional ones older then a week then show?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cant seem to find more restore points. What do you mean by put a check at the bottom ?

I have to go out for 2 hours. Can we stay in contact after or how do I return to you ?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
On the restore window, where it is showing you the dates to restore to, you see a check box at the bottom which says to check to show more restore points.
Thats what you click.
We can resume when you return.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I'm back.

There is no check box at the bottom of the page. All it has is 3 programs, 2 for windows updates ( dated ) and 1 for configured epson net print dated 8/4/15

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Was it working still on the 8th?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

probably not but I cant remember exactly. I think that was when I reloaded the software for the printer installation.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, do the restore on that date so we can be sure please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it restored succesfully. The printer and scanner are not working. The wi fi is showing on the printer but a message comes up on asking it to scan that the computer cannot communicate with the scanner. And as I said before when asking it to print is says the printer is in "error state "

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you connect the printer to the computer via the USB cable and then try to print.
Is it then able to print?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No . I havent got a USB cable

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then we have to reinstall the printer.
Press the windows key
Then type in
devices and click on devices and printers.
Right click on your printer and select remove.
Then restart the computer.
Once restarted, install the printer again and when installed, try to print to it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've reinstalled the printer but I can only get as far as printer wi fi set up and it fails on set up and comes up with a message no computer found try again ( message on the printer )

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, remove the power from the wifi router then wait 5 minutes.
connect the power and try again.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

same thing as before

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi richard. Are you still dealing with this ? I have disconnected the router power and reconnected and the problem remains.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Whats happening ??! If my problems not solved I'm not happy to pay anything.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What is the make and model of your wifi router?