Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My Lg TV has worked fine years, no problems what so ever,

My Lg TV has worked fine for 7 years, no problems what so ever, even after being imported here from SA. Then suddenly, last Sunday, it just switched itself off...took awhile and then I managed to turn it on again. Worked fine the whole of the week and then this Sunday when I went to switch it on, nothing. Any explanation please? Thanks Virginia
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
It appears the internal power supply has faulted Virginia.
But first, remove the power from the TV and wait 10 minutes.
Then plug the power back in.
Does it then start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already tried that and no it did not work?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, we needed to remove residue power as the cause of this.
The internet power supply or mainboard has failed then Virginia. Usually the power supply but not possible to say without a hardware diagnostics performed.
But due to the age of the TV, a repair is going to exceed the value of purchase a new TV at the prices they are at now adays.
They would need to perform a hardware diagnostics then source the faulting part which for this model is hard due to its age, then you have the cost of labor and the limited warranty which is why in my experience its best to avoid the repair.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I did think as much re: the price of repair versus a new one. I will, however, try swapping the adapter because it still has an African 3 round pin plug on it so it maybe that the fuse in the adapter has gone?

But thank you for your help.Smile

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome.
I did not know about the adapter! :) If it has a fuse, this can be the issue so try that.
If you need anything else, please let me know
And if you can do the service rating, that is appreciated (click the smile faces or stars).