Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a DMC-FZ5 camera. nothing happens when I press the button

I have a DMC-FZ5 camera. nothing happens when I press the button to take a picture.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Do you see any power at all on the camera?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes but the power is exhausted over a relatively short period despite not using the camera

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, this points to the battery as failing Allan and you will want to replace this first, especially if it is draining very quickly.
You can purchase the battery via my link below
Click me to view
Then give it a full charge and it should then operate correctly.
I have marked this question to never close so any issues, please do not hesitate to let me know here.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you what is the cost of a new battery? is it justified or is a new camera to be preferred?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The cost of the battery is £6.85
From what you describe it is pointing to a faulty battery so I would advise to replace this first Allan.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to purchase a battery. what further details do you require?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You click the link I gave and purchase it there Allan, we do not sell the battery here.
Ill repeat the link you need to click.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-FZ4PP-DMC-FZ4S-DMC-FZ5EB-DMC-FZ5EG/dp/B006ZCLWP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429605981&sr=8-2&keywords=panasonic+dmc-fz5+battery
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
battery purchased but have been away and it is now on charge. will let you know what happens when installed