Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 890 which I absolutely love

Hi, I have an Epson Stylus Photo 890 which I absolutely love but on switching on to print out some photos this morning I get the message
'A printer's ink pad is at the end of it's service life. Please contact Epson Support'
Exactly what does this mean? I have always used genuine Epson inks and didn't realise there was an ink pad. The instruction book I have doesn't mention any of this. Does it mean the printer is now to be consigned to the scrap heap?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. We would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. The pad it is referring to is an absorber. It is a pad that collects ink that does not make it onto the page. That way you do not end up with a pool of ink after a while under the carriage. How old is the printer?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About 4-5 years old
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok underneath the carriage can you feel a sponge like pad? I suggest wearing gloves as it will be covered in ink. It is hard to see so just looking is not normally enough.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what do I do with it if I manage to find it?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That depends on what it feels like, did you find it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not yet and I will have to leave it for a while. I'll try later on
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, searched, can't find it, not quite sure where a outs to check. Unfortunately I have bad arthritis in my hands which are badly crooked so may have problems getting to it. Seems as if everything is covered with plastic shields.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It would be under the carriage and unfortunately arthritis could make it hard to find. It sounds like you may have found it though when they get old they get hard and need to be replaced. If it was spongy we would just need to clean it and the tank it sits in. You would most likely need a technician to do this for you which would normally be around $75. Due to that some people do decide to replace the machine instead. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.
.