Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My sat nav tells me battery is low and doesn't work even though

Customer Question

My sat nav tells me battery is low and doesn't work even though I have it plugged in to cigarette charger in camper van. I need it badly. Please help.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
I want to rule out an issue with the cigarette charger in the camper van. Are you able to plug the Sat Nav into another power source? Or plug something into the cigarette charger to confirm its still working please?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I plugged into mains and it seems to be working. Does this I can't use it?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
We need to confirm.
Hold the power down on the SatNav for 35 seconds, then release.
Then power it on and try to charge it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I held my finger on off button for 35 mins and the plugged it into cig charger and it went off after a rew mins.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Deirdre, we have confirmed the issue.
It is the internal battery or mainboard in the satnav that has faulted.
We have ruled out all the other causes for this
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the SatNav to have it replaced, it is a hardware issue. It will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am away for 9 weeks in France. Can I get a replacement in a retailer here or do I have to send it back to garmin?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, you will have to send it back sorry
You can see the warranty information here
http://www8.garmin.com/support/warranty.html
Feel free to ask if you would like any additional information please.