Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I use Kodak Easy Share Z812IS camera, which has been great

I use Kodak Easy Share Z812IS camera, which has been great for general photography. On 2nd May, took photographs at a Flower Festival, when I got home and connected to my computer, they appeared on the screen of the computer, would not download, a message came up "The files could not be imported may be unrecognised file type, may not contain valid date"...I transferred the SD card to my wife's Canon Power Shot A1200HD and they were immediately imported into the computer, making me think that the fault is with my camera. I have tried other SD cards in my camera, they will not import, but will when I put them into my wife's camera. Please can you help?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Just to confirm, all SD cards have the problem with the Kodak correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes all cards

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks David
As the first step, remove the battery and wait 10 minutes.
Then connect the battery again, turn on the camera and check if it still has the issue.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Exactly the same result. Would not import the two pictures. The same comment came up about unrecognised file type etc.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks David,
From the symptoms you have described and the results of this it confirms the issue as the SD reader in the card itself that has failed
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to hard resgtart it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had the camera for I think at least 4 years, I imagine that the warranty would only be 1 year, so that is well out of date. Can it be repaired, or is it a new camera that I have got to purchase.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
They wont repair it David, the reason is the cost of repair will exceed the value of the camera, as the whole mainboard would need to be replaced.
you will need to purchase a replacement sorry.
Feel free to ask if you would like more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your help. Pity that it cannot be repaired, but it is really what I expected. Still thank you for your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome
If you need anything else, please let me know
And please remember the service rating.