Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My Panasonic DVD DMR-EX 88 player/recorder is scrambling the

My Panasonic DVD DMR-EX 88 player/recorder is scrambling the TV signal received. The old recordings already on the hard drive will play fine, but nothing new can be recorded without the picture and sound making them unwatchable. It seems that the unit that "reads" the TV signal seems to be the culprit.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you open the font flap on the recorder and while it is on, hold the channel up and channel down buttons for 6 seconds, then release.
This will then reset and reload the firmware which can cause this issue and correct it.
Once done, check and tell me please if you are still having the issue.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked the signal was still poor and it was. Did as you said and the DVD screen came up Setup . It did a complete setup routine but the picture and sound is still as it was before. Checked the TV programmes with the TV linked through the DVD player Ariel socket and they were fine
it's any help the scrambling is worse on the BBC channels compared to the itv channels.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Charles
Its the tuner the hard drive uses when recording that has failed. This is a component on the mainboard and is why nothing new can be recorded.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by reinstalling it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the recorder to have the mainboard replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pity there was no easy solution,but many
Thanks for the advice. New DVD required!