Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a 7 year old Samsung PS50P96FDX and I am not getting

Hi. I have a 7 year old Samsung PS50P96FDX and I am not getting sound from the freeview channels. The picture is fine and I am getting sound from my Sky channels. I have never used the freeview channels before and have only found this out as I have sold the TV with my house. Any ideas? I have hunted the internet but can't find anything on this problem
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Is the TV getting freeview channels through same Sky box or a separate antenna plugged in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shahid.It is connected to a separate antenna

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please go to TV menu then Channel menu and check an option, Sound System.
What settings you see there as options would be BG, DK, I and L?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, been trying to send you a photo but struggling.

The list I can see on the sound options are:

Mode: Music

Equaliser: just shows balance

SRS TS XT: On

Auto Volume: Off

Internal mute: Off

There are a couple of options greyed out which I cannot access. These are sound select which has main selected and reset

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please set your TV to TV source (to get freeview channel) then go to menu then Channel option and check sound system setting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, the freeview menu (or D. Menu on remote) has:

Audio Format: PCM (other option is Dolby Digital which I have tried)

Digital Text: Enable

There is also a system option with product information, signal information, software upgrade (I've tried this already but there are no updates) and reset (I've also tried this before)

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall socket for 5 minutes to reset, replug back in and check sound of freeview channels?
Please reply back with the result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, tried unplugging, reset and still no sound. Is it possible that the "standard" aerial is the issue and I need to install a better one?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
I don't think the aerial is the issue as TV displays fine picture of freeview channels, please try to run auto-store option in TV by going into Menu then Channel menu so TV can scan again all available channels.
Please reply back with the result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, done this and still no sound

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe there is another detailed menu for this tv but I can't remember how to access it

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, lets try to restore TV to default settings then run auto-store option again to see if it helps, please go to Menu then Setup and select Plug & Play option and push OK/Enter.
This will reset the TV and you will get initial setup screen, go through it to finish set up where you can select your country then run auto-store option to store available channels data.
If this doesn't fix the issue then I'm afraid it would be hardware related issue and it may end up main board replacement in TV where tuner and signal processor chip is installed.
Please reply back with the result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still no sound unfortunately. It is strange why I have sound from Sky though

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Sky box would be connected to video input (AV or component video or HDMI etc) so TV works as monitor in this setup whereas to get freeview, TV tuner works to process the signal.
It seems you need to replace main board of TV where tuner and signal processor chip are located and this work should be done by handy person to avoid any damage or complications.
There is an alternate way is to get freeview/ set top box which would have built in tuner and processor chip and connect it to TV like Sky box in any free video input, plug the aerial into freeview/set top box and run channel scan in fewwview/set top box through its own remote to get available channels on this TV. This way you won't need to take the TV in repair shop for main board replacement. Please check following link for details about set top box...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Set-top-Boxes-Sound-Vision/b?ie=UTF8&node=560880
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.