Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My 16 year old Panasonic tv has developed a pinky tinge, noticeable

My 16 year old Panasonic tv has developed a pinky tinge, noticeable on a white background and flesh tones. Colour adjustments make little difference!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model Panasonic PK1. It's a bit difficult at the moment to get the number from the back of the tv as I am actually recording on a connected free view pan. recorder which is fitted under the set and will probably will need to be disconnected [along with the hi-fi system next to it.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
ah OK, seems lots of work to get model number off of TV.
Is it big rear projection TV that utilize three picture tubes (red-green-blue)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's not rear projection. It's one of the first flat widescreen cathode ray tube sets made. It weighs 55kgms and I needed help when I last moved it. I have a sneaking suspicion the tube is going. Can it be repaired? I have a lot of old vhs tapes and personal family recordings which I doubt very much would be watchable on modern tvs.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Robert for the info about type of TV.
Yes, CRT TV has seen its golden days and tube would be going as picture tube TV has limited working hours lifespan, I'm afraid it can't be repaired however, there are few adjustments can be done by TV tech to get better picture quality but that would not last longer so it would be waste of money.
I would recommend a new TV at this point and rest assured, all new TVs still have Composite Video input to connect old VCR using yellow-red-white AV cable or Scart cable etc so can keep enjoying old VHS tapes on your new TV.
Please provide me info about your favorite brand and desired screen size to find out the TV for you or you may please search/google it to get better price info.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your advice - greatly appreciated, although it confirmed my worse fears.What size lcd tv [mine is a 32" I forgot to mention] would you recommend? I tried out vhs and dvds on my mother's 32" Hitachi HD ready lcd and they seemed o.k.,but I was thinking of something slightly larger, but unfortunately they are all now full hd. Would that compromise picture quality on standard digital fare? I have a couple of Panasonic combi recorders with upscaling facilities. I would therefore stick with the Panasonic brand for compatability. Should I go for a 40" full hd or a 32" hd ready model?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Robert,
Any size of TV (most of them are HD now) will work, 32, 40, 50 or 60 and make sure they have RCA video input jacks at side panel or rear side to connect your old VCR. an HD TV will not compromise picture quality when watch VCR tape as VCR picture quality is lower than HD standard so TV will adjust itself/ automatically depends on video input signal resolution.
Mostly VCR picture quality is 480 (calls SD/ standard) then comes progressive (720) and HD (1080) etc so all HD TV can display 480 to 1080 picture resolution without any issue.
Please check with following Panasonic dealer link to select any model of your choice..
http://tinyurl.com/oayzvxq
Regards,
Shahid.