Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a LG tv, 27", bought in 2005. Model number is ***** M2762D As

I have a LG tv, 27", bought in 2005. Model number is ***** M2762D
As of last night the picture went completely black while the sound remained running as normal. Also found that I could change channels, still with sound but with picture remaining black.
Switched off and left the tv for a half-hour. Switched on again, whereupon the picture returned - but only for a few minutes. Blackness returned, still with sound.
As there was then a distinct and unpleasant whiff of burning, the tv is now disconnected from the mains.
Does this sound like a terminal problem, or could it just be a circuit board that needs changing?
Thanks, Tim (Lewis)
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
It appears the backlight in the TV has failed Tim, but first, I want to rule out residue power which can cause this.
You said you have it disconnected from the mains, how long has it been disconnected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Disconnected since 9pm last night. My wife says that she had noticed a more moderate whiff of burning for some time before last night. (I myself rarely watch the tv)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its a hardware problem Tim, its not going to be anything with the firmware.
Either the main logic board or the backlight. As you still have sound it points to the backlight as the issue Tim, so everything is working except the backlight has burnt out and would explain the whiff of burning your wife noticed. Generally if its an issue with the Logicboard (this is the main controller board) you would have both no sound and no picture.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have a hardware diagnostics performed to confirm the issue and the faulting component replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The tv is out of its warranty period. So I guess what I'm asking is whether it would be cost effective to take the tv in for repair in the normal way - repair costs at somewhere like Currys, where we bought the tv, being an initial £90 plus cost of parts. (And bearing in mind that the tv seems to be in otherwise excellent condition.)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I would not recommend this Tim. You wont get a long warranty on the repair and its going to be a minimum 250 if it is the backlight, plus due to the age of the TV, your in an area where other issues will start to occur, usually with the internal power supply.
With the cost of TV's these days being very low, for your situation I would advise against paying for an actual repair. You will be best purchasing a replacement one.
Feel free to ask if you would like any additional information please.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer