nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

My treadmill has been jerking and slipping lately. I've just

My treadmill has been jerking and slipping lately. I've just switched it on and it won't run. It is flashing E1 and I don't know what that means. Any ideas?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.
Error E1 signifies Speed Signal Error or Motor Malfunction.
Disconnect the Power Cord from the wall outlet and wait for 10 minuted to allow the capacitors inside it to fully discharge.
Now at the front-bottom of the unit under the display, you will see a plastic hood. Remove it.
Unscrew the 2 black plastic caps for the brush housing on the motor; motor brushes are spring loaded and may pop out when the cap is disengaged. Brushes should be a ½ inch or longer with no cracks/chips on the brush. Be sure to check both brushes.
Use a vacuum to remove any carbon dust build-up in the motor brush housing.
If motor brushes are still usable, reinstall. If reinstalling old brushes, assure to match the wear direction (curvature) of the brushes to the commutator when reinstalling. New brushes will be flat on the ends and do not require directional matching.
Remove M+ and M- leads from the Drive Board and apply them to a portable battery 12 - 18V+ (power drill battery, etc). This will run the motor with direct power to ensure the motor functions properly (this will be a very low speed).
If the motor doesn't work then it needs to be replaced.
Revert back for further assistance. Thanks and have a nice day. Cheers!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for keeping you waiting. I am not in a position to try what you recommend until my husband has time to help me. Thank you for your answer, though, I will rate it now and fingers crossed the motor is not burnt out! Thanks again. Gail Hugman