nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

I have a canon canoscan 56ooF. When I scan 35 mm film I get

I have a canon canoscan 56ooF. When I scan 35 mm film I get a green strip along the top lengthwise. the rest of the scan is ok. Any ideas
g
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.
This problem generally occurs due to the dust inside the scanner, on the CCD or mirrors, blocking light from reaching the CCD.
Try cleaning the glass with Isopropyl Alcohol.
You will want to carefully and fully clean the glass in the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) scanning area.
There can also be a strip of transparent plastic on which there can be a mark or smudge. Look for scratches, tiny spots and marks of any sort.
Please do not spray the cleaning solution on the glass rather spray it on a dry cloth and then use it for cleaning.
Another way to ensure the mark is removed is to use a credit card by placing in on a angle and sliding it across the glass in one direction. You can then lift the credit card when reaching the end of the glass and return to the other side to slide it across again.
After cleaning the platen glass, run four to five blank/clean pages through to test it.
Revert back for further assistance. Thanks and have a good day. Cheers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if the dust is on the inside, does the glass have to be removed to clean?
I don't have any automatic feeder, photos/documents are placed in maually.
I don't have any problem scanning photos/documents, only 35mm film.
I have tried scanning one cell and six. The green tint when along one or all six. It just affects the colour, it doesn't block out actual photo.
Could it be something to do with the led light?
If there is any dust inside the glass that is visible to you, then only go for removing the glass to clean it as it is bit complex (requires dissembling of the scanner unit).
If the LED lights or the lamp would have been faulty then it would have shown the same effects in other scans also.
Update the driver software.
Go for alternate software available for scanning purpose like Vuescan.
Please rate the solution POSITIVELY.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have taken a credit card across the screen, but without any positive effect. For some reason I could not down load an updated driver from the Canon site I found the other day. I found a different site today which offered a download for driver and a another for a scanner. I have down loaded both my desktop. it is unclear whether they are active, but if so, they have made no difference.

I will try and obtain some Isopropyl alcohol to give the screen a clean, but I'm not sure why that should make any difference, as it still scans photos and scan documents without this issue.

Try downloading Vuescan Scanner software from this link:-
http://www.hamrick.com/download.html
If it is a software related issue then it will vanish.
Please rate the solution POSITIVELY.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have downloaded vuescan and the green line still appears on the scanned transparency.

The line is straight and even. Could it really be caused by dust or dirt on the glass. Wouldn't dust or dirt be likely cause an uneven line/effect?

Could a faulty Led cause the problem with transparencies, but not other scans? If so, then it looks like a new scanner.

My only other thought is whether light is creeping in through the edge of the film guide. But it snaps shut and the lid presses down on it when shut, so it seems unlikely and also, as indicated above the the green hue is an even line along all the cells.

I would suggest you to contact Canon Support. They will send a technician who will be able to dissemble the scanner and check for the possible fault. It is a malfunction and will require inspection of internal hardware.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please rate the solution positively.
Thanks and have nice day. Cheers!