Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have an S2 which may be out of date but meets all my

Hi; I have an S2 which may be out of date but meets all my needs. I am with Meteor in Ireland and my package also suits me, but is too cheap for Meteor to offer me a free handset upgrade.
Today I stared getting the message "The application Google play services (process com.google.android.gms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again".
I called to Meteor store but they said this can only be sorted by a factory re-set that will wipe everything. This seems extreme and I suspect they really just want me to upgrade and enter a new contract. Is there a better way to fix the Google Play problem?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
They may be correct, but there are a number of other things to rule out before having to do the reset, that's kind of straight to the nuclear option straight off the bat.
We will together eliminate other causes for this problem.
First, go to Settings, Applications.
Look under the list ALL at the top (you may need to swipe to it)
Then location Google Services Framework
Let me know please when you have located it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have it. Sorry for delay; I have to keep closing the Error message.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have it. Tried to answer already

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thats ok Gerry
Press on it and press Clear Data.
Then find in the list Google Play Store
Press it and press Clear data.
Then remove the battery from the phone and wait 5 minutes.
Then put the battery back in, power on the phone and tell me if you are still having the error.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK; I've done that and will wait the 5 minutes. However that seems to wipe the phone the same was as the factory reset Meteor was offering!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If it was a factory reset Gerry, we would have done a factory reset!
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No Change; still have the Error message (but still have all my data.)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes of course you still have your data Gerry....
Go back to Settings Applications.
Look for download manager and when you find it tell e if it is enabled or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see anything that tells me if it is enabled or not...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok press on it and press Clear Data.
Once done then restart the phone and it will enable it
Then tell me if you still get the error please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still getting the error message.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now we have to factory reset it to rule out the firmware as the cause.
But first we backup your data onto the computer so you do not lose it.
To do this, download Kies from my link below onto your computer and install it.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/
Once installed, run it and connect your phone to the computer.
Then perform a backup of the phone onto the computer.
Once completed successfully, disconnect the phone from the computer.
Then on the phone go to SETTINGS, then select PRIVACY, Select FACTORY DATA RESET then Select RESET PHONE
If you do not see it check under STORAGE instead of PRIVACY.
Let this complete and when it has, setup the phone again. Then connect the phone to the computer, open Kies and restore the backup you just did, to get your data back on the phone.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've downloaded Kies (and Kies Lite apparently) but it will not recognise my phone. Keeps asking me to connect a device.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
how did you connect the phone to the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

USB cable

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, connect it to another USB port on the computer.
Is it then detected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm trying the Troubleshoot and it is re-installing the Kies device driver.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still going around in circles. My compter recognises the phone but Kies just keeps saying "connecting".

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
.ok, connect it to another USB port on the computer.
Is it then detected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried three ports and two USB cables. The computer recognises the phone - the problem is with Kies. This is getting me nowhere and its a bit sharp to ask me to fork out even more money to solve the problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is an optional service Gerry, else we continue here as I indicated.
Can you restart the computer and try to connect the phone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but no thanks. We've both wasted more than enough time on this. I'll look elsewhere. Your service is a nice idea but too cumbersome and on this experience, just doesn't work, so I'll treat as a lesson learnt and opt out. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
it works, you just have problems on the computer or with the Kies install, not sure why you dont want to restart the computer? Considering I am the only one who has actually explained and worked with you to first backup your data as you are going to have to reset the phone, it would be ashame to quit after this effort has been put it... Normally its very straight forward but there are issue on your computer slowing this down.
But I have marked this question to never close so you can return at any time
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen or smiley faces, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but it is just too much of a trial and error thing. I don't have time for it.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you have to move forward and factory reset the phone.
on the phone go to SETTINGS, then select PRIVACY, Select FACTORY DATA RESET then Select RESET PHONE
Let this complete and when it has, setup the phone again.
Let me know the results please
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Ritchie but I'm going to sort this elsewhere and I've terminated my subscription. I appreciate your help; it just isn't a satisfactory way of working.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
sure ok then