Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Sony Bravia KDL 40EX403 TV that I bought in

I have a Sony Bravia KDL 40EX403 TV that I bought in 2010(from TESCO). From 20 April 2015 I can no longer play You tube and as of today the same appears to be the case with Demand 5-both of which I used to be able to through the internet video button on the remote.an you suggest any Sony product that I can buy to overcome this difficulty? Many thanks, ***** *****

Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please check following Sony link about youtube announcement in details and some alternate ways to get yourtube streaming on TV...
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/youtube-app-announcement
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did come across the link that you referred to a couple of weeks ago and found it of no use because the options on the settings(network/ menu) does not on my particular tv give the necessary choices to set it up for wi-fi Direct and I want more than simply playing my tablet or pc screens to display on my tv. So those options are not good enough. Specifically, I was hoping you would suggest some inepensive but simple way of converting my Bravia in to a smart TV with some add on product from Sony-such as a set top box. I thank you for your efforts, but as you can see your reply so far does not takes me any further forward. Heence my rating-for which, I most sincerely ***** *****

Dr.XXXXXXXX

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Vasudevan,
You can connect Roku box or Apple TV device to the TV to watch youtube and many more video streaming on this TV.
https://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/whats-on/
Above link shows Apple TV device and details, since your Sony TV is year 2010 model so it won't play youtube any more due to system change by Google.com, I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shahid,

Thank you for that and it is a little more helpful. I am still a little unclear as there seems to be a contradiction between your paras 1 & 2. In para 1 you say I can connect to a Roku box or Apple TV device, but in your para 2 you imply that it won't work with my 2010 TV. Specifically I want a solution that can work with my existing TV, Which one is it? and what is a Roku box? Now I understand your rating system and will rate it finally on obtaining your reply. Thanks again.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about confusion, I was saying that your TV will not work any more for directly youtube streaming as it was before 20 April 2015 and Roku box is similar device as Apple TV device, please check following link to view Roku box info..
https://www.roku.com/uk/how-it-works
Your KDL 40EX403 will work with either Roku or Apple TV device to watch youtube or many other video streaming sites as TV will be used as monitor and rest of work will be done by connected device such as wifi connection to router/ internet and built in application for youtube, Netflix and many more. I hope these info will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Finally Shahid, could you tell me how much a Roku box and Apple TV cost and which stores would stock them.

DR.XXXXXXX

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Vasudevan,
Apple TV box would cost around 60 Pounds, please check following link to select nearest Apple Store in area..
https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/
and can buy Roku streaming stick/ device from Tesco, Aamazon, Currys etc for approx 50 Pounds, please check following link to order it online..
https://www.roku.com/uk/where-to-buy
I hope these info will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.