Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My DCM-FH6 camera was bought in Dubai February 2014. It has

My DCM-FH6 camera was bought in Dubai February 2014.
It has recently March 2015 developed a fault which is
When I switch the camera on and direct it at the view/person etc looking at the viewer it appears to be a excellent picture but within seconds it becomes blurred and if a picture is taken it is also blurred. The lens does not appear to be loose or have any dust or anything to stop the smooth extension of the lense segments. Could the firmware need to be updated? If so how do I update it please. Please will you advise.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
there is no firmware update for this, but the firmware is not the issue.
First, as a smudge on the lens can cause it to instead try to focus on this, blurring the picture, have you cleaned the lens completely? And if so, how?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lense is totally clean no smudge or smears
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Bruce
I wan to rule out any settings causing this.
Go to the setup menu and then choose reset.
Let this complete and then tell me please if you still have the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I do that
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
On the camera you go to settings, then select Reset and it will run it for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I reset the camera the operating operations book does not cover this?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You go to Menu, Setup then you choose reset Bruce,
I have the manual here where you can see it on page 37
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFH6_ADV.PDF
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have found reset and reset which seems to work. I have checked focus within indoors under artificial lighting... It's 2215 now will really check properly in the daylight tomorrow. Many thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, it was a corrupted setting, it should be ok, but I have marked the question to never close, so any issues tomorrow Bruce, just let me know here please
In the meantime, if you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen or smiley faces, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately when testing in good daylight the original problem is still there. The view of a pending picture goes out of focus after the first 2 seconds. The focus appears to be searching and won't re focus clearly.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Bruce
This confirms the issue as the image sensor that is failing. Its efficiency has reduced and as such it can't control the focus correctly.
For such a problem, you need to get the camera replaced sorry. It will still be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be at no cost, but you will need it replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you suggest a repairer
And estimate the repair cost
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If its not under warranty Bruce, then a repair is not possible, it will cost more then the value of the camera as they replace the entire mainboard, plus you only get a short warranty on it.
I would advise to purchase a new camera.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi bad news but is an end to the problem thanks for all your advise