Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a new Viera Smart TV and I am unable to connect to the

Customer Question

I have a new Viera Smart TV and I am unable to connect to the internet. All other wireless devices work in the same room but the TV will not get further than asking for the password/encryption. When I input the password ***** happens.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you remove the power from the wifi router and from the TV and wait 10 minutes.
Then connect the power to the wifi router and wait 5 minutes.
Then connect the power to the TV and turn the TV on and try to connect to the wireless network.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As before. The connection cannot be made. Access point of Wireless LAN has not been found.

Help!!!!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, before you said it asked for the password ***** then froze.
Are you now saying it does not even ask for the password *****?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry - it only gets to the password ***** if I attempt to connect manually. The Wireless LAN result is when I try to do it automatically. It has also at this stage sometimes quoted fault code 0008.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me the make and model of your router please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about delay. the router is a Sky Sagem with no model number. It is about 5 years old.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, on the back of it, may be in a hole, do you see a reset button?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes and I have tried that without any effect but I am in your hands.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, you need to hold the reset button in for 10 seconds, then release.
Once done, power off the TV, wait 5 minutes the power it on and try to connect.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Done as requested. Result the same about the access point of the LAN. I am a thicko when it comes to I.T. but logic tells me that the fault is likely to be the TV because the grandchildren's tablets and two Kindles work OK wirelessly in the same room so this makes me think that the router is performing adequately.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is, we have just confirmed this.
Sometimes its a corrupted DHCP lease on the router but we have now ruled this out. Its the wireless card on the TV that is not functional and will need to be replaced sorry.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there any other way of resolving this than returning the TV to the shop? Many thanks for your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No sorry as they are going to have to order the part.
Or use a cable connection if your model has a LAN port on it?