Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Panasonic SA-BTT400 Home Cinema System. Today it will

I have a Panasonic SA-BTT400 Home Cinema System. Today it will not play 3D DVD's but it diplays a message on the TV Screen "This disc cannot be played because of a compatibility problem". But it is showing this message when I try to play back discs I have viewed before with no problem. It does play back 2D discs OK, and discs that are not Blu-ray. I have not made any changes to the settings. Why is it doing this and how can I fix it.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Have you tried to unplug TV and bluray player power cords from wall socket for 10 minutes to reset, check the connected HDMI cable between both units and reinsert it, replug TV and bluray power cords, turn them On and check if it plays 3D disc now?
Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Earlier I did a complete power down of both the TV and the Home Cinema system, removing the wall sockets and leaving them unplugged for two hours. While the power was off I removed the HDMI cable, checked everything was OK and re-made the connection. After re-powering the equipment it was still the same.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Robert for the info.
There are few devices involve to get 3D vision - TV, bluray, HDMI cable and 3D version disc.
Bluray needs OK signal from 3D compatible TV when play the 3D disc and if HDMI cable is slow speed/ incorrect version or has internal issue, bluray will give such error message.
We need to try another high speed (version 1.4 or higher) HDMI cable as first thing.
If problem still persist then get another 3D bluray (as a test) to hook to TV which will help to narrow down the issue.
Please reply back with the result to proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The HDMI cable in use is 1.8. I have a spare 1.8 HDMI which in the course of the evening I have used for testing purposes but to no avail, the results are the same. The TV is 3D compatible, and 3D is selected for DVD Playback.

I have tried 5 different discs, each throwing up the same error message. All of the discs I have been trying have played perfectly before tonight.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I understand, I was asking to try another Bluray Player on this TV with same HDMI cable, if possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shahid. Yes, I have done that and it works OK, but the replacement is not a 3D DVD (just Blu-ray). However, as I mentioned earlier, ordinary Blu-ray discs (not 3D) work OK on the Panasonic, as does standard discs. It is only 3D discs that are displaying the message and refusing to play the 3D DVDs.

I have also performed a reset to the Default Settings, which are the Factory presets, but the same message appears each time I try to play a 3D DVD.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I understand Robert and got 3D and 2D info in your initial question.
Most of the time I found bad HDMI cable for such error message and some times bluray player found defective.
Have you tried to update bluray player firmware/ software?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shahid. The Home Cinema system is unable to see my home Wifi, so the short answer is no. That is something I thought of myself but I am unable to get it it to see my wireless connection. But it is strange that this should just suddenly occur since yesterday and only on the 3D DVD's. In my view it is unlikely that is where the problem lies.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert,
Firmware update is one of possible way to resolve the issue because manufacturers and film companies work together to enforce copyrights and have seen players stop working after certain time on same old discs.
Please check following Panasonic page for firmware update info which is bit complicated so follow all the info strictly for successful update..
http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/bd/download/btt400/btt400_euro.html
Easiest way is to get/ barrow another known working good 3D bluray from any friend and try it on TV which will help to narrow down the issue as if problem is with in TV or HDMI cable or bluray player so we will focus on that particular unit.
Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Shahid. I was on that site earlier but it did not show any resolve to the issue.

I think we have taken this as far as we can, sadly to no avail. I understand what you are saying about the manufacturers and film companies etc, but that surely would not happen overnight and without some sort of warning (it was OK last night).

I am sorry that we have not been able to resolve this issue so I will visit the retailer tomorrow and see what they have to say - and following your advice I will borrow another unit from a friend to test the system, although I do not expect there to be any problems there.

I am completely frustrated, especially as I am a TV Broadcast engineer with 47 years in the business (just retired), and I could not even get to the bottom of the problem. Let's call it a night and many thanks for your patience and assistance, even though we did not get it sorted. Robert. (PS. as we did not get the issue resolve will I still be charged?)

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
No problem Robert, please take your time to try another bluray player to this TV.
Its up to you to pay for my time by giving positive rating while I tried best to help you out and I hope you would consider the limitations of support over internet or may please contact customer support at***@******.*** for any billing issue/ don't want to pay then do not rate the asnwer and leave it as it is rather than rating it negatively.
Thanks and good luck!
Shahid.