Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Sharp LC32AD5E LCD year 2007 cannot be tuned, status message

sharp LC32AD5E LCD year 2007 cannot be tuned, status message says database empty.
please advise. Ian Dunster
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If it says database empty then the software has been corrupted
You need to reset the software by HOLDING DOWN VOLUME DOWN ON THE TV ITSELF and remote control key 1 at the same time for more than 3 seconds,the set should switch off and reboot all previous settings lost,you then should be able to retune the set
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard. TV went off as advised. switched back on. asked for language and country. went on to auto scan. then carrier not found. fuzzy screen with mono shown. now just fuzzy screen nothing else. regards ian

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you connect another TV to the aerial and tell me if that works please, as we want to rule the cable or antenna out as the issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

connected another TV to aerial. Works fine.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ian
It is the internal memory or mainboard that has faulted. This would have been related to the storm last night
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have a diagnostics performed and the faulting component identified. I then strongly urge you to get a price before getting a repair as if its the mainboard, then the repair would exceed the value of purchasing a new TV.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi RichieMe. Thanks for your help which has been excelent, even though it was not the answer I was hoping for. Just need to find a way a way to cancel the whatever agreement I may have been lead into though it is fair for me to pay the £20 for the advice given.

Kindest regards.

Ian

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ian, and I am sorry about the outcome but I cannot change this.
If you did not sign up for the monthly service, it is just the one time charge, which I get credit when you rate me.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.