Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Samasung a5 is working but no display on screen its just

samasung a5 is working but no display on screen its just black
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you remove the battery from the S5 and then hold the power button down for 60 seconds then release.
Then connect the battery again, turn on the phone and tell me if it now shows the screen.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its an A5 so there is no battery

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
My apologies Aaron, I read it as an S5, not A5.
For the A5, leave the charger out, and then hold the power button for 60 seconds, then release.
Then connect the charger and try to turn it on.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

still black screen ... it did not work .. any other ideas?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Make sure you have Kies installed on your computer which you can install from here
http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/
Once installed, run it and then make sure the phone is powered on and connect it to the computer.
Perform an update on the phone within Kies and when it has completed, tell me if it now functions please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have this message in Kies:

Failed to connect the device

Disconnect and reconnect cable

I have done so twice but same results

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, to be sure, disconnect the phone then restart the computer and then connect it again.
Do you still get the same error Aaron?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the issue
It is the internal mainboard that has faulted. It will be the components relating to the screen and data communication else the computer would have been able to connect to it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the phone to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Finally connected. Tried to back up but I have lost my contacts, messages as well as all images, videos, documents, downloads... the lot. I am now taking it to Samsung dealer unless u can advise to the contrary.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Is it now starting Aaron and working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still no display BUT Kies directed me to download & install Smartswitch which is now allowing me to see the information on the telephone through my computer. All the contacts, messages, pictures, videlos, documents files are empty

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, you will ave to return it, its the mainboard (which includes the memory) that has failed and the phone will have to be replaced sorry Aaron.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.