Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My garmin s1 does not give me the proper distances

Customer Question

My garmin s1 does not give me the proper distances for every hole, it can be out 28yds one hole the next 15yds and so on. I have tried to reset it as per manual but to no avail could you please let me know if I can do anything else to try and fix it.
bill Thompson ***@******.***
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
It is an issue that can occur with the S1, as Garmin do not source the maps themselves but purchase these in. You have done the reset which clears up any firmware issues, so it is the map itself that is incorrect. Garmin are not very specialised in this field, which is why it is always advised to use a product such as Skycaddie which do do their own maps.
The only recourse you have is to email Garmin with the course and the correct measurements to see if they will update the map. Some customers have had good success on this and you can email them on***@******.***
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All info of course seem to be correct as my playing partner has same s1,his is within a 2yd difference so don't see map being wrong. at any given hole standing on course markers my s1 shows way less than his.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, you may be working off a older map.
Have you updated the map on the Garmin to ensure you have the latest version Bill?
If not, follow the instructions here please to do so
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5145
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richie played golf yesterday and problem is just the same. My playing partner bought the s1 the same time as I did and his yardages are almost spot on with course yardage markers Example course marker,150yds my s1 132yds 18 yds of differance

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi, to be sure, you did the last instructions I gave Bill?