dresteve2000
dresteve2000, Customer Service
Experience:  Electronics expert.
71208907

I have a Garmin eTrex 20, when I connect to my computer, it

Customer Question

I have a Garmin eTrex 20, when I connect to my computer, it does not go into USB mode bit tries to power on. When the screen "Loading Waypoints, Tracks and Routes..." appears, the device hangs. When switched on independently, at the same scenen it again hangs and can only be switched off by removing a battery.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  dresteve2000 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! Have you been able to connect the Garmin to your computer in the past? Just want to ensure all drivers are installed correctly.
What does device manager show on your computer when the device is connected?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. When I hold down toggle and press it up, I can force the computer to read the device as an extra drive. I have removed new map I had installed together with new tracks but the problem stays the same.

So would it be ok to try a master reset on the device? It would remove all the data on there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I do that?

To perform a master reset:Ensure the device is offPress and hold menu and enter*Press and release light/powerWait to see, Do you really want to erase all user data?Release Menu and EnterSelect YesThe device should now be reset to default factory settings, all user data should be removed, and the device should function as expected.* Press the center of the Thumb Stick.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That just delays startup screen by about 30secs then it tries to start

Strange...can you try one more time to make sure?
If you cannot access the reset menu...I would have to suggest that most likely the hardware itself is defective
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I tried it again I got what appears to be the device spec page (and possibly history).

The start button at bottom was coloured/highlighted but pressing the toggle had no effect.

Can you try holding it a bit longer perhaps?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, lost my link with you . Will now try, as you suggest.

1: After about 30 secs trys to start up as normal.

2: Second try the same.

3: While holding toggle, start and menu, all at same time, device trys to restart.

Reread your instructions! I have now got the erease all data screen, but the toggle will not allow me to highlight "yes"

Have screen still on

Try to access it again..might take a few tries to get it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have now done that 6/7 times. When the erase screen appears and the "No" button is highlighted even when I press that one, there is no response and the screen remains on

Hmm...possible the buttons have actually malfunctioned then...are you still within 1 year of purchase?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, purchased in Oct 2014.

I would definitely suggest opening a support ticket with Garmin for a replacement of the unit then. Let them know you have attempted a master reset and the device does not let you.
Obtain Warranty Service in 2 Easy StepsGet an RMA Number Call or email Product Support to request a RMA number. You will need the device serial number (if applicable), a return shipping address and a daytime phone number.Phone:(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####ax:(###) ###-####mail: Product SupportSend Us the Device Along with the RMA number, Product Support will give you a dock number to include in the shipping address. Ship the device (insured) to the following address. It is very important to include your RMA number and the assigned dock number.Garmin International1200 E. 151st St.RMA Number: (insert your RMA number here)Dock Door (insert the dock number here)Olathe, KS 66062
You would be covered under the 1 year limited warranty: One-Year Consumer Limited WarrantyNon-aviation products are warranted to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Within this period, Garmin will, at its sole option, repair or replace any components that fail in normal use. Such repairs or replacement will be made at no charge to the customer for parts or labor, provided that the customer shall be responsible for any transportation cost. This warranty does not apply to: (i) cosmetic damage, such as scratches, nicks and dents; (ii) consumable parts, such as batteries, unless product damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (iii) damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, water, flood, fire, or other acts of nature or external causes; (iv) damage caused by service performed by anyone who is not an authorized service provider of Garmin; or (v) damage to a product that has been modified or altered without the written permission of Garmin, or (vi) damage to a product that has been connected to power and/or data cables that are not supplied by Garmin. In addition, Garmin reserves the right to refuse warranty claims against products or services that are obtained and/or used in contravention of the laws of any country. This product is intended to be used only as a travel aid and must not be used for any purpose requiring precise measurement of direction, distance, location or topography. Garmin makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of map data in this product.
I hope I was able to help you today. If you are satisfied with my answer, rating my answer with positive feedback would be greatly appreciated. If you do have any additional questions please do feel free to post them here. Thank you for using Just Answer! Have a Great Day!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks,Customer/p>

Not a problem, hope this gets resolved ASAP from Garmin!