Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I'm trying a first setup on a Samsung UE32J5600 t.v. but after

I'm trying a first setup on a Samsung UE32J5600 t.v. but after auto setup of Wi-Fi and changing the PIN I can't move on any further - suggestions please!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me the make and model of your wifi router please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, my wi-fi connection is not the problem - it connected automatically. It's the fact that I can't get past the following stage i.e. the pin number. I've entered a new Pin which it seems to accept but can't move on to complete the setup. I have a the latest Sky box which is fine with the old tv.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I would like to look at the wifi router as I want to rule this out as the problem please.
If your against this, let me know and I can opt out for someone else to work with you.
Thanks Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard, the tv shows a padlock on my connection to B.T. Hub 3.0 - type A so I really don't think that's the problem. I don't need a wi-fi connection to set up the tv - that's just an added plus if I want to stream Netflix etc. -which I don't. If you feel more comfortable to pass this on to someone else that's your decision.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The padlock means it is locked and requires the password, thats normally, and you have to get the TV connected to the wifi.
There is a password ***** the actual BT hub labeled wireless key
Select the BT network and enter in the Wireless Key, not the WPS value and tell me if thats accepted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard, when the Hi-Fi page came up it showed options as normal including my Hub with correct details and I selected it. I have also gone down the other route of selecting the wps button and in both cases it has apparently been OK. Why do you consider that his is relevant - the manual states that the connection is only needed if I want access to the internet which I don't! If I didn't have an ISP it wouldn't prevent me from setting up the tv.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you do not want any internet at all on the TV, which means none of the apps work, then just exit from the wireless setup Brian.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That Richard is the problem. Once I have connected to the internet the next stage is the Pin. Once I've completed that - I CAN'T MOVE TO THE NEXT STAGE!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you remove the power to the TV please, then wait 5 minutes, power on the TV and it will restart and you can then use it as normal.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard I'll do that but I have had the tv off for hours and previously did unplug for a couple of minutes with no change. I'm trying to have meal at the moment but will get back to you in 30 minutes.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but if it does not work, tell me exactly what you see when you start the TV again please as it should go to the main channel selection menu.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Back again, no change - the screen starts with the Wi-Fi setup which I complete and then asks for pin setup which, once I have entered a 4 digit number, doesn't seem to provide any way of moving. It simply stays on the pin screen. Can't find any way to move other that to switch off which then starts the cycle again.

It's driving me nuts as it should be so simple!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Normally Brian it is not such a pain to install.
Power off the wifi router and the TV then power on Only the TV.
Can you then skip the wifi setup?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

Yes, that finally worked although I don't understand why it should? After setting up the TV - in moments - I tried to set the wi-fi part and again success - although despite showing my hub details on the screen with other options the only way I could connect was via the WPS route. The user manual and screen sequence was in fact the reverse of what I had to do - very odd.

However thanks for your help and perseverance.

Brian

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It was a very peculiar problem, as you would normally not have such issues Brian, but good its now up and running.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer