Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Two of my tv's make hissing type noises and the picture

hi, two of my tv's make hissing type noises and the picture pixilates (is that a word?) one tv is brand new and the other is 11 months old. Only happened since moving house. Upstairs tv's work fine. I am reluctant to get anybody in as I don't know if its the tv's or the Ariel or the cabling? thanks for your help. Beverley
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
We can confirm if its the aerial or the TV's by doing the following.
Bring the TV thats upstairs, downstairs and connect it to the connection one of the problem TV's are connected to.
Do you get the problem then on that TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, my friend tried that with the living room tv which had the worst problem and he said it didn't work upstairs but when I tried it it did. The main issue seems to be that sometimes it works fine and sometimes it doesn't! If I do a retune sometimes I have to do it 3 times before I get all the channels in the right order, sometimes I lose channels. The newest tv in the kitchen seems to be the worst offender now and I am not able to watch ITV although the other channels are ok. It feels like I have a little gremlin trying to wind me up!!!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its the aerial line that's the problem Beverly, hearing this, it really confirms it.
Get an Antenna technician to your location. They will test the signal and find out why its not getting the signal correctly. Can be positioning, wiring, reception, but they will find this and rectify it.
Its not the two TV;s thats at fault but the Antennas line and once they run the test on it and correct the fault, the TV's will then work.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** have any idea of what I should expect to pay for this?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It all depends on your area, and what the actual problem is plus how the cabling goes through your house. It is very hard to estimate, but lets say its a cable fault and the cable is exposed, then around 100 pounds, including labor. But get a quote first before they do the work, and another once they know the issue for repair. Its the only way to get a real pricing.