Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

On an Epson Stylus Photo 900, the green power light is off,

On an Epson Stylus Photo 900, the green power light is off, the red paper light and the red cartridge light are flashing alternately, this started after running a nozzle clean check, the instruction details tell me to contact dealer, but have you any ideas, thanks
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, remove the power to the printer and wait 10 minutes.
Then connect the power, turn on the printer and tell me if you still have the issue please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The green light came on for .5sec then the 2 red lights flash alternately also the normal start up clonks and clicks were heard.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, remove the ink then start it.
Wait till its loaded, then put the ink into it Jeff and tell me if it now operates please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unable to remove the cartridge as the carriage does not move when pressing the ink button, the printer did work after the cartridge was fitted but was patchy.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, try pushing it along with your finger Jeff in case its jammed.
Does that get it to move?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was locked in the start position but when I turned off the power and then on again while it was making the usual noises it did move with my finger, then removed the ink, I had to turn off the power and then on again for the carriage to reset, still the same lights, had to repeat process to put ink back in, still the same lights flashing.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jeff
It is the internal motor or gearing that has faulted. We have ruled out all the other causes for this. It is a hardware fault.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much for your time RichieMe, the printer is way out of warranty so no joy there either, the cost of a basic printer is less than £30 these days so that is the best option for me, as for your time, although the outcome is bad you did try and for that I expect you want payment, what is my position in paying you and giving you a review.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is the service you pay for Jeff, it would never work if it was to get it fixed, as its not always possible. I just make sure we tested everything and nothing else was causing this, else it would be working. And now you have confirmation of the problem, this is what you pay for.
If you need anything else, please let me know
and if you can please do the rating, that would be greatly appreciated.