*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

I have Epson Printer/Scanner XP 405 and OS 10.10.3 on my MacBookPro.

Customer Question

I have Epson Printer/Scanner XP 405 and OS 10.10.3 on my MacBookPro. I can use the printer but not the scanner. What do you suggest?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.Try updating your Mac OS to the 10.6 then update the Epson software to the latest. This update installs the latest software for your EPSON printer or scanner for Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard.https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1398?locale=en_US
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I said I have installed OS Yosemite 10.10.3 and think that is probably causing the problem.

Okay, follow these steps next please.
Reset Printing System
Click the Apple icon ( ), and then click System Preferences.
In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan dialog box opens.
Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
Click OK to confirm the reset.
Type the correct Name and Password.
Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.
Repair Disk Permissions
On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
Double-click Disk Utility.
Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and download and install the latest Epson print/scan drivers and software.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That sounds sensible and I am happy to try. Are these instructions detailed in an email? Will this work?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Expert. Until I have tried your answer I cannot really say I am satisfied and £27 seems a lot for this.

Your welcome.
I will be here if you need anything. If the solution fails we can try another option.