Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Keep losing channels some channels freeze some are pixatin

keep losing channels some channels freeze some are pixating
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome
Can you tell me please the make and model of your TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sony bravia is the main one and two in bedrooms are logic
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This problem happens on all TV's?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** they all connecting to thats central? A settop box or an antenna?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
antenna with a booster and splitter in loft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you check if the Booster is still powered and on please as this would be a cause for this problem.
Please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its one that all the rooms plug into its just a single unit but its only some channels we have trouble getting mainly itv and 5
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, but there is a central cause for this so we need to go through and rule this out. Channels run at certain strengths so the problem can effect only certain channels.
Were you able to do my last instructions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checking now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes blue light on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, remove the splitter and the TV thats still connected, tell me please if it still has the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its slx 6 way ampli main tele working ok but not small one
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I know the amplifier you mean but don't understand your reply. You mean when you bypass it, the main television now works?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I think the main one has cable on outside through wall because the inside plug doesn't work ampli by passed main on but not small
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I just don't understand your last message.
I believe you are saying the main tv has cable through a wall?
but then
"because the inside plug doesn't work ampli by passed main on but not small"
I don't understand what you mean with this sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the house has aerial sockets in three beds, kitchen and living room but the sockets in living room don't seem to work the previous owner had a cable run outside and in to living room independent from sockets but still on the same external antenna so cant understand why all sets suffer the same problem the main tv is on now but the small ones have no signal because the ampli is off
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The main TV is able to read the signal still whilst its too faint for the other TV;s, this is why.
But it was not clear, is the Main TV now running fine in this setup?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at the moment yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then its pointing to the amplifier as the source.
It has to be one single point causing this and if when running the TV outside of it it works, then it points to the amplifier as the cause of the issue.
But try as a test to unplug all the TV;s except the main one from the amplifier, and then power on the amplifier.
Does the Main TV then have a problem again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the main tv splits on a y connection before the cable goes into the amp
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you connect one of the small TV's to it and bypass the booster to test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
main tv going through booster seems ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry it takes so long but have to keep going into loft right down end
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thats ok, I thought so
What were the results?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried small tv by bypassing but didn't work only works through amp
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the signal is too weak for it.
If the TV works when bypassing the amp, then it points to a faulty amp, it makes the most sense as the main TV has the problem going through the amp but not when bypassing it so its the only thing causing the issue.
I would advise to get a new amp and put this in, then test the TV;s and they should then function correctly.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you for your help