Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My Samsung TV has developed a problem with the screen. The

My Samsung TV has developed a problem with the screen. The top half is foggy with lines and the bottom is normal.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
- How old it is and how long it have had the problem?
- Does picture become normal after some time or stays bad as long as TV is On?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model no : UE42D5520RKXXU

Purchased 26 October 2011 Fault developed yesterday evening

Picture stays the same all the time

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
UE42D5520RKXXU seems invalid model number, can you please recheck?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry should be UE40D5520RKXXU

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Grace for TV model info.
There are two possible causes for this problem, either t-con board is defective which would be mounted on lower center at rear of screen under metal frame/ shield or internal circuitry of screen is failing which is serious issue.
Please unplug TV power cord from wall socket for 10 minutes to reset the TV, replug back in, turn it On to see if it correct the problem?
If problem still persist then t-con board swapping is only option to see if it fix the problem or we are looking at defective screen which need to be replaced but won't be economical option due to high cost of screen that could be around new TV price of same size so at that point you would be better off with a new TV instead of spending money and time on this TV.
Required t-con board would be link the shown in following link..
http://www.lcd-tv-parts.com/index.php/samsung-t-con-bn96-16439a-bn9616439a-ue40d5000pwxxu-ue40d5003bwxxu-ue40d5520rkxxu.html
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Shahid - I am currently trying out your advice and waiting for 10 minutes before plugging in again.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
No problem Grace, please take your time and reply back with the result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have now reconnected but unfortunately there is no change! - Any further advice? I'm afraid I am not technical at all so need info in plain English!

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear that, it seems either t-con board or screen is bad and screen is likely defective because you get distorted picture on top-half and if t-con board is defective then mostly lines appear vertically either left or right side or entire screen so it seems the screen of TV is defective because the lines appear horizontally on screen. I wish I had better news about TV.
Screen of TV (display panel) is defective and you would be better off with a new TV. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.